Working with a Coalition of Environmental Health Organizations that Support the NIEHS Mission
NIEHS director and staff meet periodically with the Partners to seek input and improve communications with communities and organizations directly affected by the mission and the research of NIEHS.
The Partner members represent:
- disease and patient advocacy groups for diseases such as asthma and other lung diseases, breast cancer, prostate cancer, Parkinson's Disease, birth defects, autism, lupus, and others;
- at-risk groups who may be particularly susceptible to environmental effects such as children, women, and under-served communities; and
- environmental organizations.
Working with the Partners allows NIEHS to learn more about the priorities of these organizations, and helps to shape the institute’s research agenda. In turn, these organizations learn about NIEHS research enterprise and about the other partner organizations. The Partners are powerful voices for environmental health issues.
John Schelp, M.P.A.
Special Assistant for Community Engagement and Outreach
- ALS Association
- Alzheimer's Association
- American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association
- American Cancer Society
- American College of Preventive Medicine
- American Lung Association
- American Public Health Association
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Autism Speaks
- Breast Cancer Prevention Partners
- Birth Defect Research for Children
- Children's Environmental Health Network
- Collaborative on Health & the Environment
- Communities for a Better Environment
- DES Action USA
- Endometriosis Association
- Environment and Energy Study Institute
- Environmental Defense Fund
- Huntington Breast Cancer Action Coalition
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- National Center for Environmental Health Strategies
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Safe Minds
- Society for Women's Health Research
- The Endocrine Disruption Exchange (TEDX)
- The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
- West Harlem Environmental Action
- Zero Breast Cancer
- Unique group gathers at NIEHS to talk environmental health – Environmental Factor, December 2016
- Annual Partners meeting fosters fruitful exchange - Environmental Factor, January 2016
- Brochures & Fact Sheets
Fact sheets about how exposure to environmental agents may affect our health.
- Get Involved at NIH
A Web site of information about public activities and events, and opportunities to provide feedback to NIH.
- Your Environment. Your Health. (NIEHS Pocket Card) (149KB)
- The Public Interest Liaison Group’s Contribution to the Future of Environmental Health Research (295KB)
Lisa M. Greenhill, from Goehl TJ, ed. 2005. Essays on The Future of Environmental Health Research: A Tribute to Dr. Kenneth Olden. Research Triangle Park, NC:Environmental Health Perspectives/National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.