Principal Investigator / Institution
John J. LeConche
LIUNA Training and Education FundPO Box 3737 Deerfield RoadPomfret Center, Connecticut 06259-0037
The Laborers' International Union of North America Training and Education Fund (LIUNA Training and Education Fund) will provide health and safety training to workers on nuclear sites. This training will help workers identify job site hazards, prepare for unanticipated incidents, and support disaster response actions.
Nuclear site workers perform a variety of jobs such as waste containment, reduction, and removal; building demolition, construction, and renovation; and monitoring and decommissioning of nuclear power plants. LIUNA Training and Education Fund will target primarily construction of craft laborer (CCL) workers and other construction trades. Other training efforts will target environmental contractors and government personnel when appropriate. Special outreach will target minority, disadvantaged, and non- or limited-English speaking workers.
LIUNA Training and Education Fund will serve as the primary grantee and training will be provided by eight training partners in various states. Affiliated training partners will target employer and worker needs in each location, provide instruction that meets job and regulatory requirements, and prepare workers for possible events in their geographic region. Training partners will also conduct the certification of workers and DOE staff.
The program will train and certify instructors, provide competency-based credentials, and foster effective educational and training models. Collaborative efforts with DOE National Training Center and industry and workforce development organizations will help advance training needs and innovations and improve overall quality and effectiveness of the NIEHS/DOE Worker Training Program at large.
NIEHS/DOE Nuclear Worker Training Program
The LIUNA Training and Education Fund NIEHS/DOE Worker Training Program will train workers who are or may be employed on DOE deactivation and decommissioning (D&D) jobs at former nuclear production and research facilities.
Specific aims of the LIUNA Training and Education Fund NIEHS/DOE Worker Training Program are to:
- Deliver training and courses specific to target population needs, such as Hazardous Waste Worker, Hazardous Waste Worker Refresher, Radiological Worker II, Asbestos Abatement, Demolition and Deconstruction, and others.
- Perform continual assessment of training demands throughout the life of the program, as training numbers are influenced specifically by industry and contractor demand as well as fluctuations in the economy.
- Ensure training meets industry needs by working with partners to conduct a training needs analysis during the first year. Existing curricula will be updated, or new curricula will be developed, as appropriate based on findings from the training needs analysis.
- Explore ways to leverage technology to enhance training delivery.
- September 1, 2020 - July 31, 2025 (DOE)
- UH4 ES032172 (DOE)
Other Participating Organizations
- Laborers' Health and Safety Fund of North America (LHSFNA) (https://www.lhsfna.org/)
- LIUNA National Guard Local 1776 (https://www.local1776.org/)
- LIUNA Public Sector (https://www.liuna.org/public-sector)
- LIUNA Service Contract Education and Training Trust Fund (SCETTF) (https://scettf.org/)