Uterine Fibroid Study (UFS)
The Uterine Fibroid Study generated data that the Epidemiology Branch and its collaborators published in peer-reviewed journal articles. To find out more about the study, please click the following links to journal articles and abstracts.
- Jukic AM, Steiner AZ, Baird DD. Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and ovarian reserve in premenopausal women. Menopause 22(3):312-316, 2015. [Abstract]
- Jukic AM, Steiner AZ, Baird DD. Lower plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with irregular menstrual cycles in a cross-sectional study. Reproductive biology and endocrinology: RB&E 2015 13(1):12-. [Abstract]
- Baird DD, Saldaña TM, Shore DL, Hill MC, Schectman JM. A single baseline ultrasound assessment of fibroid presence and size is strongly predictive of future uterine procedure: 8-year follow-up of randomly sampled premenopausal women aged 35-49 years. Human Reproduction 30(12):2936-2944, 2015. [Abstract]
- Moshesh M, Olshan AF, Saldana T, Baird D. Examining the relationship between uterine fibroids and dyspareunia among premenopausal women in the United States. J Sex Med 11(3):800-808, 2014. [Abstract]
- Baird DD, Hill MC, Schectman JM, Hollis BW. Vitamin d and the risk of uterine fibroids. Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.) 2013 24(3):447-453. [Abstract]
- Saldana TM, Moshesh MK, Baird DD. Self-reported family history of leiomyoma: not a reliable marker of high risk. Annals of epidemiology 2013 23(5):286-290. [Abstract]
- Flake GP, Moore AB, Flagler N, Wicker B, Clayton N, Kissling GE, Robboy SJ, Dixon D. The natural history of uterine leiomyomas: morphometric concordance with concepts of interstitial ischemia and cyanosis. Obstet Gynecol International vol 2013, article ID285103, 9 pages
- Myers SL, Baird DD, Olshan AF, Herring AH, Schroeder JC, Nylander-French LA, Hartmann KE. Self-reported versus ultrasound measurement of uterine fibroid status. Journal of women's health (2002) 2012 21(3):285-293. [Abstract]
- Vines AI, Nguyen T-X, Ta M, Esserman D, Baird DD. Self-reported daily stress, squelching of anger and the management of daily stress and the prevalence of uterine leiomyomata: the ultrasound screening study. Stress and Health 27(3):e188-e194, 2011.
- Dragomir AD, Schroeder JC, Connolly AM, Kupper LL, Cousins DS, Olshan AF, Baird DD. Uterine leiomyomata associated with self-reported stress urinary incontinence. Journal of women's health (Larchmt) 2010 19(2):245-250. [Abstract]
- Laughlin SK, Schroeder JC, Baird DD. New directions in the epidemiology of uterine fibroids. Seminars in reproductive medicine 2010 28(3):204-217. [Abstract]
- Dragomir AD, Schroeder JC, Connolly AM, Kupper LL, Hill MC, Olshan AF, Baird DD. Potential risk factors associated with subtypes of uterine leiomyomata. Reproductive Sciences 17(11):1029-1035, 2010.
- Vines AI, Ta M, Esserman DA. The association between self-reported major life events and the preence of uterine fibroids. Womens Health Issues 20(4):294-298, 2010.
- Baird DD, Travlos G, Wilson R, Dunson DB, Hill MC, D'Aloisio A, London SJ, Schectman JM. Uterine Leiomyomata in Relation to Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I, Insulin, and Diabetes. Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.) 2009; 20(4):604-610. [Abstract]
- Vines AI, Baird DD. Stress of caring for children: the role of perceived racism. Journal of the National Medical Association 2009 101(2):156-160. [Abstract]
- D'Aloisio AA, Schroeder JC, North KE, Poole C, West SL, Travlos GS, Baird DD (2009) IGF-I and IGFBP-3 polymorphisms in relation to circulating levels among African American and Caucasian women. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 18(3):954-66, 2009 (Epub 2009 Feb 24)
- Vines AI, Ta M, Esserman D, Baird DD. A comparison of the occurrence and perceived stress of major life events in black and white women. Women & health 2009 49(5):368-380. [Abstract]
- Steiner AZ, Baird DD, Kesner JS. Mother's menopausal age is associated with her daughter's early follicular phase urinary follicle-stimulating hormone level. Menopause 2008;15:940-4.
- Vines AI, Baird DD. Stress of caring for children: the role of perceived racism. JNMA (in press).
- Baird DD, Dunson DB, Hill MC, Cousins D, Schectman JM. Association of physical activity with development of uterine leiomyoma. Am J Epidemiol 165:157-63, 2007. [Abstract]
- Gooden KM, Schroeder JC, North KE, Gammon MD, Hartmann KM, Taylor J, Baird DD. Val153Met Polymorphism of Catechol-O-Methyltransferase and Prevalence of Uterine Leiomyomata. Reprod Sci 14:117-20, 2007.
- Baird DD, Dunson DB, Kesner JS. Luteinizing hormone in premenopausal women may stimulate uterine leiomyomata development. J Soc Gynecol Investig 13:130-5, 2006. [Abstract]
- Vines AI, Baird DD, McNeily M, Hertz-Picciotto, I, Light KC, Stevens J. Social correlates of perceptions of and responses to racism among black women. Ethn Dis 16:101-7, 2006. [Abstract]
- Baird DD, Hill MC, Hartmann KE, Schectman JM, Dunson DB. Parity and location of uterine leiomyoma. In review, 2005.
- Baird DD, Newbold RN. Prenatal diethylstilbestrol (DES) exposure is associated with uterine leiomyoma development. Reprod Tox 2005 20:81-84.
- Wegienka G, Baird DD. A Comparison of recalled date of last menstrual period with a menstrual diary. Journal of Women's Health 14:248-52, 2005. [Abstract]
- Baird DD. Invited Commentary: Uterine leiomyomata-we know so little but could learn so much. Am J Epidemiol. 159:124-126, 2004. [Abstract] [Full Text] [download the PDF]
- Wegienka G, Baird DD, Hertz-Picciotto I, Harlow SD, Hartmann KE. Uterine leiomyomata (fibroids): are bleeding symptoms more likely to be reported after diagnosis? J Clin Epidemiol 57:318-320, 2004. [Abstract]
- Baird DD, Dunson DB. Why is parity protective for uterine fibroids? Epidemiology 14:247-250, 2003. [Abstract]
- Baird DD, Dunson DB, Hill MC, Cousins D, Schectman JM. High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:100-107, 2003. [Abstract]
- Brewer EA, Kolotkin RL, Baird DD. Relationship between eating behaviors and obesity in African American and Caucasion women. Eating Behaviors 4:159-171, 2003. [Abstract]
- Wegienka G, Baird DD. Potential bias due to excluding oral contraceptive users when estimating menstrual cycle characteristics. Am J Epidemiol 158:947-950, 2003. [Abstract] [Full Text] [download the PDF]
- Wegienka G, Baird DD, Hirtz-Picciotto I, Harlow SD, Steege JF, Hill MC, Schectman JM, Hartmann KE. Self-reported heavy bleeding associated with uterine leiomyomata. Obstet Gynecol 2003 101:431-437. [Abstract]
- Dunson DB, Baird DD. A proportional hazards model for incidence and induced remission of disease. Biometrics 58:71-78, 2002. [Abstract]
- Dunson DB, Baird DD. Bayesian modeling of incidence and progression of disease from cross-sectional data. Biometrics 58:813-822, 2002. [Abstract]
- Hoppin.JA, Brock JW, Davis BJ, Baird DD. Reproducibility of urinary phthalate metabolites in first morning urine samples. Environ Health Pers 110:515-518, 2002. [Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]
- Dunson DB, Baird DD. A flexible parametric model for combining current status and age at first diagnosis data. Biometrics 57:396-403, 2001. [Abstract]
- Vines AI, McNeilly MD, Stevens J, Hertz-Picciotto I, Bohlig M, Baird DD. Development and reliability of a Telephone-Administered Perceived Racism Scale (TPRS): a tool for epidemiological use. Ethnicity Dis 11:251-262, 2001. [Abstract]
- Walker CL, Cesen-Cummings K, Houle C, Baird DD, Barrett JC, Davis B. Protective effect of pregnancy for development of uterine leiomyoma. Carcinogenesis 22:2049-2052, 2001. [Abstract] [Full Text] [download the PDF]