Certain populations may have more exposure or be more susceptible to health effects of environmental exposures. NIEHS supports research to help us understand why.
Agricultural health is the study of environmental, occupational, dietary, and genetic factors on the health of farmers, farm families, pesticide applicators, and others who work with and are exposed to agricultural chemicals.
Children's Environmental Health
Children’s health includes the study of possible environmental causes of children’s illnesses and disorders, as well as the prevention and treatment of environmentally mediated diseases in children and infants. Children are highly vulnerable to the negative health consequences associated with many environmental exposures.
Environmental emergencies, including hurricanes, floods, wildfires, oil spills, chemical spills, acts of terrorism, and others, threaten the lives and health of the public, as well as those who respond.
Native American Health and the Environment
In the U.S., there are 574 federally recognized Tribes, and each has its own history, governance, and culture. There are also more than 100 state recognized Tribes.
Women's Health and the Environment
Women's health is an essential part of the NIEHS research agenda. Researchers investigate environmental, lifestyle, and behavioral factors to prevent or reduce the chance of women developing health problems.
The Worker Training Program supports a national network of organizations that deliver safety and health curricula to hazardous waste workers and emergency responders in every region of the United States.
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) Health Information - Offers online articles; access to NIA print publications; and a directory of agencies, resource centers and volunteer programs.
- National Library of Medicine Medline Plus: Older Adult Health - A section of the MedlinePlus directory geared towards health issues related to aging. Especially covers topics such as assisted living devices, caregivers, nursing homes, etc.
- National Library of Medicine MedlinePlus: Men's Health Topics - Alphabetical list of health concerns to men including male breast cancer, infertility, prostate cancer, etc.
North Carolina Health
- North Carolina Drinking Water - Helpful information regarding the quality of drinking water in your area of North Carolina.
- North Carolina Health Atlas - Contains maps of North Carolina that depict county-level health and health-related information. The primary purpose of the atlas is to provide a way to interpret visually a broad range of data and information about the health of North Carolinians.