Agricultural health is the study of environmental, occupational, dietary, and genetic factors on the health of farmers, farm families, pesticide applicators, and others who work with and are exposed to agricultural chemicals. The NIEHS is a partner with the National Cancer Institute in the Agricultural Health Study, a long-term study of 60,000 pesticide applicators, farm workers, and their spouses that is exploring the potential links between agricultural exposures and cancer and other chronic diseases.
- A Human Health Perspective on Climate Change (Full Report)(4MB)
- Applying 21st Century Toxicology to Green Chemical and Material Design - Workshop Presentations from the National Academies Standing Committee on Use of Emerging Science for Environmental Health Decisions
- A Watchful Eye on Farm Families' Health - CHAMACOS study shows that when pregnant women are exposed to pesticides or flame retardants, their kids may have health problems like wheezing or lower IQ.
- Headliners: Neurobehavioral Deficits in Children from Agricultural Communities
- NIH Study Finds Two Pesticides Associated with Parkinson's Disease
- Profile: Report on Carcinogens: Captafol
- Programs and Initiatives: Climate Change and Human Health
- Redesigned Agricultural Health Study website launched
- Role of Environmental Chemicals in Diabetes and Obesity: A National Toxicology Program Workshop Report
- Studies Find Arsenic in Food Adds Up
- Wastewater treatment offers a view into environmental chemicals’ risks
- Pesticide Action Network North America - PAN seeks to reduce the use of pesticides through more economically viable alternatives. Publishes reports on pesticide use, health effects, occupational safety, etc. Website also offers a Pesticide Database that allows you to search by chemical or product.
- Some Natural Pesticide Alternatives (English)(114KB)
- Some Natural Pesticide Alternatives (Spanish)(118KB)
- Talking to Your Doctor - Resources from NIH
- The Interagency Working Group on Climate Change and Health(1MB)
- EHP Student Edition Lesson: Lettuce Explore Perchlorate in Food(90KB)
- EHP Student Edition Lesson: Is Organic Food Worth the Cost?(228KB)
- El Monstruo Verde (The Green Monster)(448KB)
- Libro Para Colorear (Coloring Book)(781KB)
- Pesticide Safety: Elementary School Curriculum(4MB)
- Pesticide Safety: Preschool Curriculum (Bilingual)(5MB)
- Pesticide Promotora: Residential Pesticide Safety Education Materials