Conditions & Diseases
These topics are common diseases and conditions that evidence shows may be strongly linked to environmental exposures.
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Diseases
- Parkinson's Disease
- Reproductive Health
Aging (Senior Health)
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) Health Information - Offers online articles; access to NIA print publications; and a directory of agencies, resource centers and volunteer programs.
- Senior Health - Details on 10 health topics of interest to seniors: Alzheimer’s, arthritis, balance problems, hearing loss, etc. Audio is available for those with sight difficulties.
- Seniors' Health Topics - A section of the MedlinePlus directory geared towards health issues related to aging. Especially covers topics such as assisted living devices, caregivers, nursing homes, etc.
- Alternative Medicine Foundation - Responsible and reliable information about alternative medicine for the public and health professionals through published resource guides on various therapeutic modalities (acupuncture, ayurveda, homeopathy, etc).
- Dietary Supplements Labels Database - The National Library of Medicine has released the Dietary Supplements Labels Database. The database includes information from the labels of over 2,000 brands of dietary supplements in the marketplace, including vitamins, minerals, herbs or other botanicals, amino acids, and other specialty supplements. Users can search by active ingredient, brand, or manufacturer.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Health Information - Search for information based on condition, type of treatment or supplement. Also publishes timely articles on the safety and efficacy of these therapeutic treatments, as well as alerts and advisories on harmful side effects or drug interactions.
- Health Finder - The Department of Health and Human Services gateway to Web sites on health and wellness, diseases and conditions, health issues for special groups, health care industry, etc.
- Medicine Net - Encompasses a medical dictionary, symptoms and signs, procedures and tests, diseases and conditions, and medications. All content is written by medical doctors.
- MedlinePlus - A comprehensive resource for consumer health information on diseases and conditions. Includes dictionaries, databases, clearinghouses, organizations, directories of doctors and hospitals, publications and libraries.
- National Health Information Center (NHIC) - NHIC provides a referral service, primarily through the National Health Resource Database. The database includes 1,800 organizations and government offices that provide health information upon request. Entries include contact information, short abstracts and information about publications and services the organizations provide.
- NIH Health Information - A consumer health information portal organized by the National Institutes of Health. Health topics cover diseases, clinical trials and drugs.
- NOAH - Bilingual English-Spanish consumer health Web site created by a consortium of libraries, hospitals and non-profits. Comprehensive guide to online resources for health and wellness, diseases and conditions, medical terminology, medications, lab tests and surgical procedures, support groups and the healthcare industry.
- Toll-free Number for Health Information - Selected toll-free numbers for organizations provide health-related information, education and support. Organizations are grouped by health concern (e.g., bone disease, rehabilitation, etc).
- WebMD - Provides quality health information written by health professionals. Also offers tools to manage your health and support for those seeking further information.
- Travel Health Online - Comprehensive site of travel information for 220 countries, including information on vaccines, health/safety information, preventive measures, FAQs on local diseases, etc. Also includes a directory of pre-travel medicine providers.
- Travelers' Health - Get health information by destination, relevant vaccinations, outbreaks and common diseases; how to travel with children; and ensuring safe food and water.
Allergies/Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI) - The AAAAI Patients and Consumers Center offers public education materials, brochures, FAQs and background information on specific allergic conditions.
- A Report on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - A 1998 report discussing the background and causes of MCS, epidemiological evidence, tools for future research and methods of medical evaluation.
- MedlinePlus: Allergy - A compilation of links to various resources that help with allergy treatment, diagnosis, and prevention.
- Alzheimers Association - Sections geared towards Alzheimer's patients, caregivers and physicians. Provides latest information on current research.
- Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral Center - Operated by the National Institute on Aging to provide general information on causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, caregiving and clinical trials associated with Alzheimer's.
- MedlinePlus: Alzheimer's Disease - Compilation of links to government and non-profit organizations specializing in the diagnosis, treatment and coping with Alzheimer's.
- Alzheimer's Care: Alzheimer's Disease Resources - From the Fisher Center for Alzheimer's Research Foundation website. They provide links to healthcare, legal and financial planning, and medical care providers that specialize in Alzheimer's.