The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) has come a long way in the last 50 years making environmental health research responsive to the needs and concerns of the American people, and making environment part of the public health debate.
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, is one of 27 research institutes and centers that comprise the National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). The mission of the NIEHS is to discover how the environment affects people in order to promote healthier lives.
The NIEHS traces its roots to 1966, when the U.S. Surgeon General announced the establishment of the Division of Environmental Health Sciences within the NIH. In 1969, the division was elevated to full NIH institute status. Since then, the NIEHS has evolved to its present status as a world leader in environmental health sciences, with an impressive record of important scientific accomplishments and a proud history of institutional achievements and growth.
Today the NIEHS is expanding and accelerating its contributions to scientific knowledge of human health and the environment, and to the health and well-being of people everywhere.
We invite you to explore this section of the NIEHS Web site and discover more about the rich legacy and promising future of this Institute.
- Office of the Director
- Advisory Boards & Councils
- Organizational Structure
- Congressional Reports
- Visiting NIEHS
- Community Involvement
- Environmental Stewardship
- Research Highlights
- Discovery Lake
Also, for children interested in learning more about NIEHS, please check out, Just For Kids: About NIEHS.
Brochures and Fact Sheets About NIEHS
- About the NIEHS Director: Biographical Sketch(166KB)
- Clinical Research Unit: Translating Research from Bench to Bedside(940KB)
- Our Commitment to Diversity - Your Science Career(1MB)
- Oil Spill Response and Research(208KB)
- NIEHS Overview(4MB)
- Your Environment. Your Health. (NIEHS Pocket Card)(141KB)
- Partnerships for Environmental Public Health (PEPH)(1MB)
- NIEHS 2012-2017 Strategic Plan - Frontiers in Environmental Health Sciences (Booklet)(7MB)
- NIEHS 2012-2017 Strategic Plan - Frontiers in Environmental Health Sciences (Tri-Fold)(904KB)
- NIEHS Sustainability Report 2015(5MB)
For more brochures and fact sheets about NIEHS related health and science, see our Brochures and Fact Sheets Page.