Worker Training Program
Eric Persaud, Dr. P.H., is a Health Specialist in the Worker Training Program (WTP) of the Division of Extramural Research and Training (DERT) at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). The NIEHS Worker Training Program is an innovative program that supports development and delivery of safety and health training programs for workers involved in hazardous waste cleanup and emergency response throughout the nation. Training is delivered by universities, unions, community colleges, and non-profit organizations who are funded through cooperative agreements with the NIEHS Worker Training Program.
As a Health Specialist, Dr. Persaud is primarly responsible for supporting evaluation efforts, fostering communication of the program, serving as an editor and writer in major documents and reports, and administering and analyzing grants and contracts related to the extramural training program.
Prior to joining NIEHS, Dr. Persaud evaluated multiple initatives as a contractor to NIEHS, starting with the NIEHS WTP Opioids and the Workplace training program in 2019. He responded to the COVID-19 pandemic by providing expertise in evaluation and contributed to analysis regarding environmental justice activities.
Prior to joining NIEHS, he worked as a geologist and HAZMAT laborer, receiving his initial occupational health and safety training from a NIEHS WTP grantee in 2013.
Persaud received his Doctorate in Public Health from the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, his Master of Environmental Assessment from North Carolina State University, and his Bachelor of Science in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences from City College of New York. He is a member of the Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society and an inaugural recipient of the School of Public Health Lenard & Christine Szarek Fellowship Award.
- Persaud, E., Weinstock, D., Wright, D.S. (2022). Biosafety and Infectious Disease Occupational Health Training from the NIEHS Worker Training Program: A Historical Look at Capacity Building that Supported a COVID-19 Response. Journal of Emergency Management. https://www.wmpllc.org/ojs/index.php/jem/article/view/3172/3440
- Persaud, E., Weinstock, D., Landsbergis, P. (2022). Improving Awareness of Workplace Opioid Use and Addiction Prevention: A Train-the-Trainer Approach. Workplace Health & Safety. https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/7UW5WFKEIDJ68K7HDMBC/full
- Persaud, E., Geer, L., Afable, A., Landsbergis, P. (2022). Evaluation of Workplace Opioid Prevention and Response Training for Union and Employer Instructors and Leadership. Journal of Opioid Management. https://doi.org/10.5055/jom.2022.0729
- Persaud, E., Weinstock, D., Landsbergis, P. (2021). Opioids and the Workplace Prevention and Response Train-the-Trainer and Leadership Training Mixed Methods Follow-Up Evaluation. Annuals of Work Exposures and Health. https://doi.org/10.1093/annweh/wxab112
- Persaud, E., Afable, A., Geer, LA., Landsbergis, P. (2021). Opioids and the Workplace Prevention and Response Awareness Training: Mixed Methods Follow-Up Evaluation. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy. https://doi.org/10.1177/10482911211010343
- Persaud, E. and Mitchell, A. (2021). Needlestick Injuries Among Healthcare Workers Administering COVID-19 Vaccinations in the United States. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy. Vol 31, Issue 1; pp: 16-19. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/10482911211001483
- Persaud, E. and Jennings, C. (2019). Pilot Study on Risk Perceptions and Knowledge of Fentanyl Exposure Among New York State First Responders. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. Vol 14, Issue 4; pp: 437-441. https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2019.95
- Persaud, E. and LePrevost, C. (2018). Risk Perceptions and Barriers to Protective Behavior Use among Chemical Tank Cleaners: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Primary Prevention. Vol 39, Issue 6; pp: 611-618 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10935-018-0527-6
Selected Media Presentations:
- J. and Persaud, E. Opiates and COVID-19. The Accidental Safety Pro Podcast. https://hsi.com/podcast/accidentalSafetyPro/72-opiates-and-covid-19 Published April 2021.
- Worker Training Evaluation with Dr. Eric Persaud. EvaluLand. April 12, 2022. https://evaluland.fireside.fm/33