These topics are chemicals or factors in the environment to which humans are exposed that may cause adverse health effects.
- Air Pollution
- Allergens & Irritants
- Aloe Vera
- Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Cell Phones
- Climate Change
- Electric & Magnetic Fields
- Endocrine Disruptors
- Flame Retardants
- Harmful Algal Blooms
- Hazardous Material/Waste
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Hydraulic Fracturing & Health
- Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFCs)
- Soy Infant Formula
- Water Pollution
- Weather Extremes
- The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke - US EPA site dedicated to helping the public understand what asbestos is, its health effects and what to do about it.
- CERCLA (The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act) Priority List of Hazardous Substances - The government’s list, in order of priority, of substances most commonly found at waste facility sites on the National Priorities List (NPL) that are determined to pose the most significant potential threat to human health due to their known or suspected toxicity and potential for human exposure.
- Diseases and the Environment
- Household Products Database - A database of more than 6,000 household products identifying key chemical ingredients and any acute or chronic health effects.
- The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke - Toxmap uses interactive mapping software to help users explore the geographic distribution of TRI chemical releases, their amounts, and trends over time. TOXMAP helps users create nationwide or local area maps showing where TRI chemicals are released on-site into the air, water, and ground. Maps also show locations of Superfund sites on the National Priority List (NPL), listing all chemical contaminants present at these sites. Users can search the system by chemical name, chemical name fragment, and/or location (such as city, state, or zip code).
- ToxMystery - The National Library of Medicine's interactive learning site is designed to help children age 7 to 10 find clues about toxic substances that can lurk in the home. ToxMystery provides a fun, game-like experience, while teaching important lessons about potential environmental health hazards. Teacher plans and classroom activities are included. ToxMystery is available in Spanish, including all lesson plans.
- Tox Town - An interactive guide to toxic chemicals and environmental health risks you might encounter in everyday life, in everyday places.
- American Association of Poison Control Centers - Network of poison control centers designed to disseminate useful information on poison prevention and poisoning statistics. In case of a poison emergency, call (800) 222-1222.