The Office of Communications & Public Liaison is the first source of news and information about the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). The communications team provides a broad range of services to support the Institute's ground-braking biomedical research, and to share its discoveries with Members of Congress, local governments, public health officials, the media, and communities throughout the world.
Key services provided:
- Audiovisual Production
- Community Outreach
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
- Exhibits, Demonstrations, and Science Conferences
- Event Planning
- History of NIEHS
- International Visits and Protocol
- Kids Environment Kids Health: Discover, Explore, Learn
- Media Relations
- Newsletter: Environmental Factor
- Public Information Brochures, Fact Sheets and Booklets
- Public Inquiry Responses
- Photography, Arts and Graphics
- Science Writing and Editing
- Social Media
- STEM Education Support
- Strategic Communications and Planning
- Study Participant Recruitment
- Webcasts and Webinars
- Website Development and Management
- Christine Flowers, M.P.A.
Director, Office of Communications and Public Liaison
- Tel 919-541-3665
- P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop B2-05Durham, N.C. 27709
Christine Bruske Flowers joined the NIEHS in 2004. Previously she led communications and outreach activities for other federal government programs including the U.S. Department of the Interior International Affairs Program, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers environmental restoration programs. Flowers also served as Director of Communications and Legislative Affairs for the North Carolina House of Representatives, and Director of Public Relations for the U.S. House of Representatives in North Carolina's Fourth Congressional District. Flowers is a veteran of the U.S. Army Medical Specialty Corps. She holds an M.A. in Public Affairs Journalism from Regent University and a B.S. in Biology from North Carolina State University.
Communications and Public Liaison Staff
Robin L. Arnette, Ph.D.
Virginia T. Guidry, Ph.D.
Kelly L. Lenox, M.F.A.
Newsletter Editor in Chief
Joseph D. Poccia
Digital Design Manager
Devlin Sawyer, M.B.A.
Regina J. Stabile, J.D.
FOIA Public Liaison and Privacy Act Coordinator
Ian V. Thomas
Public Information Officer, Social Media
Cheryl R. Thompson, MBA
Anne M. Thompson
Copy Editor, Print Graphics Coordinator
Science Editorial Services
Marla V. Broadfoot, Ph.D.
Contractor — Science Writer & Editor