In accordance with the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) has established an Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). The IBC is responsible for reviewing projects that involve, but are not limited to, recombinant DNA, RNAi, pathogens, human materials and other potentially infectious material, as well as transgenic animals. The IBC provides recommendations to the intramural community in matters pertaining to the control of biohazards associated with the use of microbiological agents and their vectors. It also represents the interests of the surrounding community with respect to public health and protection of the environment.
|Rachel Boysen, Biosafety Specialist, IBC Contact, Executive Secretary||OM / HSB|
|David Chen, Ph.D.||DIR / VVC|
|Diane D’Agostin, M.S.||DIR / STL|
|Francesco J. Demayo, Ph.D., IBC Chair, Deputy Chief, RDBL||DIR / RDBL|
|Jacqueline Hamilton, M.A., BCBA||Community Member|
|Justin Kosak, M.S.||DIR / ESCBL|
|David M. Kurtz, D.V.M., Ph.D.||DIR / CMB|
|Chris McGee, Biologist, Clinical Research Unit||DIR / CRB|
|John McLamb, CHP, RRPT, Radiation Safety Officer||OM / HSB|
|Steve Novak, CSP, Deputy Chief, HSB||OM / HSB|
|Robert Petrovich, Ph.D., Protein Expression Core||DIR / GISBL|
|Janine Santos, Group Leader, MTB, DTT||NTP / SCT|
|Troy Weaver||Community Member|
Please make note of the 2021 Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) Calendar.
The IBC meets once every month, on the 2nd Thursday of each month. Submissions must be received by close of business (5:00 p.m.) at least 10 days prior for consideration at the IBC monthly meeting. You will find a below guide on submitting your biological material registrations through EHSA.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to the HSB Biosafety Specialist at 984-287-3400.
|Month||Submission Deadline||Meeting Date (All Thursdays)|
|January||January 3||January 13|
|February||January 31||February 10|
|March||February 28||March 10|
|April||April 4||April 14|
|May||May 2||May 12|
|June||May 30||June 9|
|July||June 4||July 14|
|August||August 1||August 11|
|September||August 29||September 8|
|October||October 3||October 13|
|November||October 31||November 10|
|December||November 28||December 8|
- Principal Investigators are responsible for ensuring IBC review of the following:
- Animal experiments requiring IBC approval with any of the above (prior to ACUC approval)
- Biological Toxins (Select Agent toxins below the permissible toxin amount)
- Human and Non-human Primate (NHP): blood, body fluids, tissues and primary or established cell lines
- Pathogens/Microorganisms: Risk Group 1 or higher
- Recombinant or Synthetic DNA work as defined by the NIH Guidelines
- Please be reminded that any ACUC Animal Study Protocol (ASP) that includes the use of biologicals agents, toxins, human-derived materials, or recombinant DNA, etc. requires a BIO Permit and must be approved prior to receiving ACUC approval.
NIEHS IBC Charter
IBC Charter NIEHS (150KB)