Campus Tours & Information Sessions
Office of Science Education & Diversity
For K thru 12 students and teachers, as well as post-secondary science-based student groups/programs from surrounding colleges and universities
- Tour of the NIEHS Campus
- An inside look at career options available in biomedical research
- Overview of NIEHS research and much more!
- Tour groups limited to 40 participants.
As part of its education outreach efforts, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences offers educational tours/visits of the Institute. The tours offer area K thru 12 and college/university students and teachers the opportunity to learn about a wide range of fascinating topics related to environmental health, along with an inside look at some of the career options available to those who are considering employment in biomedical research.
Institute tours are conducted weekdays during normal business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) and are reserved on a first-come first-served basis. Tour groups are limited to 40 participants. Our standard tour packages may include any or all of the following components:
- A 30-60 minute oral presentation by one of our senior program staff that outlines some of the exciting work being done by NIEHS scientists and grantees on the health effects of such agents as lead, mercury, pesticides, indoor and outdoor air pollutants and ultraviolet light. (With additional time for Q&A.)
- A brief overview of a specific research initiative from one of our senior scientists that includes the primary mission and objectives, examples of current projects, and potential applications for the treatment and prevention of human diseases.
- An overview of the NIH Summer Internship Program, which provides summer job opportunities for high school, college undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in pursuing careers in the biomedical sciences.
- A guided tour of the NIEHS campus and main building that includes a look at some of the laboratory areas where NIEHS scientists do their research. Students must be at least 16 years of age in order to participate in laboratory tours.
- Please note, presentations and tours may range from one-three hours depending on your interests.
If you would like to learn more about our tour opportunities or arrange for a visit, please fill out the request form.
- Additional Resources: