Office of Fellows' Career Development
The Office of Fellows' Career Development (OFCD) at the NIEHS provides intramural predoctoral and postdoctoral fellows at the Institute with information and professional skills to help them obtain training positions and excel in their scientific careers. In 2007, the NIEHS was voted #7 on the list of "Best Places to Work for Postdocs" in the United States by an international survey of postdoctoral scientists. The NIEHS has been voted in the top ten of this ranking for four consecutive years.
The NIEHS Office of Fellows' Career Development does not hire or interview prospective fellows.
Information for Prospective Fellows
Finding a Position
- A list of current postdoctoral positions . (Type "NIEHS" in the "Keyword Search" box to retrieve a list of all open NIEHS postdoctoral positions). Application requirements are listed at the end of each announcement; applications should be directed to the hiring principal investigator.
- Details of research conducted by intramural PIs.
- Information on the NIEHS Medical Student Research Fellowships.
- Information on training positions at other NIH institutes . Select the program appropriate to your training level. For international fellows, helpful information about training at the NIH .
- You can find the answers to questions about benefits and other training-related topics in the NIEHS Fellowships FAQs document: FAQ.pdf(38KB)
Moving to and Living in the Triangle Area / General Information
The NIEHS is located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. More information on living and working in this area (better known as "the Triangle") can be found at a number of local Web sites:
- RTP Net
- Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina
- News and Observer newspaper
- Official Web site for the state of North Carolina contains useful links to maps, activities, and state services
- More information about moving to the RTP area, finding housing and schools, and special topics for international fellows is available in this downloadable document: Moving to RTP.pdf(157KB)
Several resources are available to help spouses and other family members find employment in the area:
- RTP.org : the official Web site of Research Triangle Park
- Triangle.com job postings
- The North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- You can also use more general job search engines such as Monster and Medzilla to find positions
Information for international fellows at the NIH is available from the Fogarty International Center and from the NIH Division of International Services . More general resources for international fellows are at: