Fellows' Career Development
Fellows' Career Development
Mental health and wellbeing is critical to trainees’ performance as scientists and impacts all other aspects of their career path and training. At NIEHS, we recognize the importance of taking time to ensure trainees’ personal wellness and have multiple resources and activities to help you focus on your personal wellbeing.
NIH Wellness Resources
- Under Stress? Need help now? Find helpful resources for getting help when you need it.
- Resources for Distressed Trainees – A trans-NIMH group developed a Resource Webpage to support supervisors and trainees. Information about topics such as the Employee Assistance Program, Civil Program, and Ombudsman can be found here.
- The Office of Intramural Training and Education has a wealth of wellness resources that are open and available to NIEHS trainees.
- Schedule an appointment with an OITE wellness advisor (For trainees in the Intramural Program only)
- Keep The Thread Policy – NIH offers a program to increase flexibility and temporarily reduce effort while remaining connected to the NIH community during intense family needs.
- NIH Affinity Groups offer an opportunity to meet others and help build community at work. NIH groups are open to fellows from all NIH institutes. In addition, NIEHS has a Network of Fellows from Underrepresented Racial/Ethnic backgrounds (NFURE). The mission of this group is to provide a supportive community for fellows from underrepresented racial/ethnic backgrounds. This group aims to uplift the voices of those marginalized in the S.T.E.M. field and to build a community that inspires positive, lasting relationships with fellow scientists. All summer interns, postbacs, graduate students, postdoctoral scientists, research fellows and others who identify with the experiences of those from underrepresented racial/ethnic backgrounds (see NIH Office of Scientific Workforce Diversity) are welcome to join. If you have additional questions, please contact Edith M. Lee or Mercedes Arana — the co-advisors to NFURE.
Resilience Discussion Groups and Workshops
OITE regularly holds resilience discussion groups. The discussion groups provide a welcoming and confidential space to explore positive and proactive ways to build resilience and self-care skills. Past topics include:
- Applying to Graduate School
- Cultural Sensitivity and Awareness
- Holiday Stress
- Interview Stress
- Goal Setting and Time Allocation
- Speaking Up in the Lab
- Wellness and Resilience
Find more information and the schedule for upcoming groups.
CommuniTEA is a social hour for NIEHS fellows and offers a supportive and welcoming environment to connect with other fellows. CommuniTEA takes place on selected Fridays. Currently we are meeting outside, please watch for an email announcing specific date and time.
NTA Social and Wellness Activities
The NIEHS Trainees' Assembly organizes social and service activities throughout the year. Prior examples of events include:
- NTA Coffee Hour- the last Friday of the month, 10am in the cafeteria. Coffee and breakfast treats are provided. No government funds are used to buy coffee or food.
- NTA Knitting/Craft Circle
- Outreach and Volunteer Opportunities (Example: Habitat for Humanity, Girls on the Run)
Fellow Appreciation Week
Each year, NIEHS celebrates all of our fellows during National Postdoctoral Appreciation week. This annual event is sponsored by the National Postdoctoral Association, and is endorsed by NIH as a way to honor and thank the trainees who carry out a very large percentage of research nationwide. View past events at NIEHS.
NIEHS Fitness Center and Discovery Lake
Many trainees enjoy the NIEHS fitness center and our beautiful campus as part of their selfcare routine. Find more information here: