The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships provide up to five years of support for research training leading to the Ph.D. or equivalent research degree; the combined M.D./Ph.D. degree; or other combined professional degree and research doctoral degree in the biomedical, behavioral, health services, or clinical sciences. F31 fellowships supported by the NIEHS are expected to focus on the environmental health sciences and be responsive to the NIEHS mission.
- This initiative seeks to enable promising predoctoral students to obtain individualized, mentored research training from outstanding faculty sponsors while conducting dissertation research in scientific health-related fields that are relevant to the missions of the participating NIH institutes and centers.
- Applicant fellows must be citizens or non-citizen nationals of the United States, or must have been lawfully admitted to the United States for Permanent Residence.
- Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree and be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. or equivalent research degree program, a formally combined M.D./Ph.D. program; or other combined professional doctoral/research Ph.D. graduate program in the biomedical, behavioral, health services, or clinical sciences.
- The applicant must be at the dissertation research stage of training at the time of award and must show evidence of high academic performance in the sciences, and commitment to a career as an independent research scientist.
- The applicant must identify an active investigator in the area of the proposed research who will serve as a sponsor or mentor and who will supervise the training and research experience.
- As an applicant, the candidate together with his/her sponsor(s) and institution are jointly responsible for planning, directing, and executing the proposed project.
- The fellowship award provides an annual stipend, an allowance for tuition and fees, and an annual institutional allowance.
The full announcement for this program is located at PA-14-147.
Notice: Please see the NIH announcement below regarding the "Additional Education Information" component of the fellowship application.
- NOT-OD-14-134: Notice to Emphasize the Requirement for Additional Educational Information under PA-14-147 "Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Predoctoral Fellowship (Parent F31)"