The NIH Postbac IRTA program provides recent college graduates who are planning to apply to graduate or professional (medical/dental/pharmacy/nursing/veterinary, etc.) school an opportunity to spend one or two years performing full-time research at the NIH. Postbac IRTAs work side-by-side with some of the leading scientists in the world, in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.
Who Is Eligible?
To apply, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).
- Intend to apply to graduate or professional school during their tenure at NIH.
- Meet any one of the following criteria:
- College graduates who received their bachelor's degrees less than three years prior to the date they begin the program.
- Individuals who are more than three years past the receipt of their bachelor's degree but received a master's degree less than six months before they begin the program.
- Students who have been accepted into graduate, other doctoral, or medical school programs and who have written permission from their school to delay entrance for up to one year to pursue a biomedical research project at the NIH.
Starting from $41,700/year, see the Stipend Table for detail.
How to Apply
Apply online at NIH Online Application.
No individual open positions are advertised. Prospective trainees are encouraged to apply 3 to 6 months before they wish to begin their training at NIEHS.
Go to “Branches & Laboratories” to find the NIEHS investigators and their research projects.
Submit CV or contact us: NIEHSrecruitment@niehs.nih.gov.