The NIEHS Medical Student Research Fellowships in the NIH Intramural Research Program (IRP) provide the opportunity for third-year medical students to enhance their research skills in the resource-rich NIH environment through a one-year research training opportunity at NIEHS. Medical student trainees should email the Program Director, Janet E. Hall, M.D. with inquiries about potential projects and mentors. Fellowships will begin in late summer/early fall.
Who Is Eligible?
To apply, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).
- Be interested full-time medical students pursuing an M.D. or M.D./Ph.D.
- Have a strong interest in conducting basic, translational, clinical or epidemiological research.
Starting from $46,100/year, see the Stipend Table for detail.
How to Apply
- Contact the NIEHS PI to devise a suitable project outline, hypothesis, and goals.
- Identify a NIEHS principal investigator (PI) whose research field is of interest to you. See the NIEHS labs link below for investigator information.
- The NIEHS PI must submit a recommendation letter to the program administrator Mercedes Arana, Ph.D. and Janet E. Hall, M.D. that justifies your selection and details their plans for your success.
- When the PI and you reach an agreement, download and fill out an application form, and submit it by email as soon as possible. Letters of reference and a project description are also required.
No individual open positions are advertised. Prospective trainees please refer the above application process.
Go to “Branches & Laboratories” to find the NIEHS investigators and their research projects.
Submit CV or contact us: NIEHSrecruitment@niehs.nih.gov.