Skip Navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Your Environment. Your Health.

Parental Leave

Fellows' Career Development

Parental Leave

Fellows' Career Development

Couple looking at an ipad

(Source: NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education)

Baby Sleeping

If you are an IRTA/CRTA or Visiting Fellow, your stipend may continue for up to 12 weeks of absence for the birth or adoption of a child. Additional absence without stipend can be requested.

If you are a Research or Clinical Fellow, you may use accrued annual or sick leave to take time off for the birth or adoption of a child. A Voluntary Leave Transfer Program allows other Federal employees to donate their annual leave to extend your time off. Additional leave types are discussed in the Postdoc Handbook.

What if I need additional family leave beyond 12 weeks?

The NIH Intramural program has developed a policy to allow postdoctoral fellows several options for increasing flexibility and temporarily reducing effort while remaining connected to their research and the NIH community during times of intense family needs. Read more about the flexible arrangement options in this policy, termed "Keep the Thread."

to Top