Worker Training Program
The NIEHS Worker Training Program (WTP), in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Environmental Management , funds nonprofit organizations to develop and administer model health and safety training programs for hazardous materials or waste workers within the nuclear weapons complex.
Working Together to Deliver Quality Health and Safety Training
The NIEHS/DOE Nuclear Worker Training Program provides site-specific training through a partnership involving government, contractors, and labor organizations. A cornerstone of the program is the use of "worker-trainers" – employees versed in performing a given task in a hazardous environment who are trained to instruct other workers. Benefits of the partnership include:
- Empowering stakeholders to address site-specific safety and health needs.
- Fostering cooperation between management and workers.
- Improving the efficiency and quality of training.
- Improving the ability to address worker concerns.
Addressing Site-Specific Hazards
Program awardees provide high-quality hazardous materials cleanup and emergency response training to ensure that:
- DOE site workers are aware of the hazards that exist at DOE sites.
- Workers are prepared to work safely in such hazardous environments to prevent accidents from occurring.
- Workers have sufficient knowledge of their work environment and hazardous conditions to identify hazardous situations and to take appropriate actions to protect themselves, fellow workers, and the environment.
Read more about the accomplishments of the NIEHS/DOE Nuclear Worker Training Program in the program's 2019-2020 report (2MB) and fact sheet (259KB). Additionally, a partnership fact sheet (1MB) provides information on working with grantees for training at DOE sites.
NIEHS/DOE Program Awardees
The following organizations are funded through July 2025.
- Community College Consortium for Health and Safety Training
- CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- International Chemical Workers Union Council Center for Worker Health and Safety Education
- LIUNA Training and Education Fund
- The Steelworkers Charitable and Educational Organization