Office of Human Research Compliance
The overall mission of the Office of Human Research Compliance (OHRC) is to manage a comprehensive Human Research Protection Program at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS).
The OHRC is also involved in the following boards and programs:
The OHRC accomplishes its mission by providing professional advice and leadership to NIEHS in the protection of human subjects participating in research through:
- Maintaining compliance by providing clarification and guidance in interpreting the Federal Regulations for the protection of human subjects, 45CFR46 and 21CFR50 & 56; NIH and NIEHS policies and guidance; and state regulations and guidance.
- Providing guidance to PIs during protocol development.
- Managing the administration of the Pre-IRB Process.
- Managing the daily administration of the NIEHS Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- Establishing educational and training programs with the goal of creating a culture of respect for and awareness of the rights and welfare of human research participants at NIEHS and its affiliated sites.
- Maintaining a Quality Assurance and Improvement Program to audit, monitor and continually improve the quality of its human research protections.
- Implementing and maintaining electronic resources and management systems for the NIEHS OHRC.
- Giving guidance and serving as the NIEHS central point of contact during the AAHRPP accreditation process. After accreditation has been achieved, the OHRC will develop guidelines and internal processes to maintain accreditation.
Certificates of Confidentiality
Joan P. Packenham, Ph.D.
Director, NIEHS Office of Human Research Compliance (OHRC)
DIR CRP OCR CD
Jane M. Lambert
Institutional Review Board Administrator
Lynae T. Baker
Administrative Support Specialist
DIR CRB OHRC
Christine B. Philput, Ph.D.
AAHRPP Accreditation & Quality Assurance Specialist
Craig Wladyka, M.P.A.
Institutional Review Board Protocol Coordinator
Jaslyn A. Grullon
Scientific Program Analyst
Submitting a Complaint to Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
Complainants may submit allegations of noncompliance by email, mail, or fax to:
- OHRP's Director of the Division of Compliance Oversight
- Tel 240-453-6900
- 1101 Wootton Parkway, Suite 200
Rockville, Maryland, 20852
OHRP accepts complaints submitted anonymously, and asks complainants who identify themselves to OHRP whether OHRP may reveal their identity to the institution where the alleged noncompliance may have occurred.
If you have any questions, you may also contact OHRP at 240-453-6900 or visit the HHS OHRP webpage for more information.