Classification Criteria Study
The International Myositis Classification Criteria Project
Study has completed enrollment
A number of differing classification criteria for myositis threaten to divide the community of myositis researchers and make comparisons of research studies in this area difficult. There is also a lack of reliable information on the sensitivity and specificity of each of the current classification criteria for myositis and the availability of new technologies and approaches that offer new opportunities to revise definitions of myositis. For these reasons, IMACS members and other collaborating groups have initiated an international multi-disciplinary project to develop classification criteria for adult and juvenile myositis.
The two primary goals for this project are:
- To develop classification criteria for use by basic and clinical researchers that distinguish the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies (IIM) from other major mimicking conditions with high sensitivity and specificity; and
- To develop classification criteria for use by basic and clinical researchers that separate the major subgroups of the IIM from each other with high sensitivity and specificity.
This project is international in scope, addresses both adult and juvenile disease, and includes specialists in all fields that deal with myositis patients. It is hoped that support for and eventual acceptance of the new criteria by professional societies in many specialties around the world will allow for a standardized approach to classifying myositis and its subgroups. So far we have received support from the American College of Rheumatology (ACR), the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR), and The Myositis Association (TMA).
The study has completed enrollment now and is in the analysis phase.
2005 Working Committee Meeting links
- 2005 Working Committee Meeting Summary(413KB)
- Myositis Classification Criteria And Project Overview(683KB)
- International Myositis Classification Criteria Project Workshop Presentation(61KB)
- Preliminary Variable List(170KB)
2004 Steering Committee Meeting links
- 2004 Steering Committee Meeting Summary(70KB)
- Myositis Criteria Overview, Miller(92KB)
- Polymyositis and Dermatomyositis RCT Criteria, Hoogendijk(62KB)
- Polymyositis and Dermatomyositis Biopsy Research Criteria, Lundberg(36KB)
- Myositis Criteria Review, Amato(897KB)
- Juvenile Myositis Criteria Review, Rider(319KB)
- IMACS Approaches, Miller(195KB)
Steering Committee Members
- Anthony A. Amato
- Richard Barohn
- Marianne Devisser
- Richard Finkels
- Gerald Hengstman
- Peter Lachenbruch
- Matthew Liang
- Ingrid Lundberg (Chair)
- Fred Miller
- Clarissa Pilkington
- Lisa Rider
- Victoria Werth
Contact information of Lead Investigator:
- Ingrid Lundberg, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Medicine
Karolinska University Hospital
Solna, Karolinska Institutet
SE- 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden