NIEHS Scholars Connect Program (NSCP)
Connecting Local Undergraduate STEM Scholars with Environmental Health Science
NSCP is designed to provide an opportunity for highly motivated science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) focused undergraduate students from the surrounding Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU) and other nearby academic institutions with students from underrepresented groups to solidly connect with NIEHS and engage in many of its educational, informational, training, and career-oriented outlets.
Scholars will be selected by a mentor/lab, and will:
- Define a project
- Construct a hypothesis
- Test the hypothesis
- Analyze the results/draw conclusions
- Report the results
Scholars will also:
- Attend workshops and seminars, including a mandatory orientation week
- Meet weekly with the OSED director and/or Program Coordinator
- Present their project at the end of each semester (Connection)
- Submit additional assignments
Stipend: ~ $2000/month (Summer Connection); ~ $800/month (Fall and Spring Connections)
Time Commitment: Full-time internship (40 hours/week) during the Summer Connection; Part-time (15 hours/week) during the Fall and Spring Connections
- At least a 3.0 GPA, with preference given for a 3.5+ GPA in the STEM disciplines
- STEM major
- Strong interest in pursuing a graduate or professional degree in a STEM discipline
- Interest in pursuing a STEM-related career
- Interest in the advancement of underrepresented groups in STEM education and careers
- Purpose Statement including research interests, academic and career goals, lab/mentor preference if any – applicants are encouraged to explore NIEHS research areas on our web pages
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants must be enrolled and matriculating in a 4-year degree granting program
The 2015-2016 application is now open through March 25, 2015 – please submit your application by then, as none will be accepted after the closing date.
Please note that the application form must be filled out and submitted in one session. A partially completed form cannot be saved and finished later.
Questions? Please contact Dr. Ericka Reid (NSCP Director) or Dr. Erica Rogers (NSCP Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org.