Tips for Applicants
Superfund Research Program
The following links provide information for Superfund Research Program Center (P42) applicants to assist in putting together a P42 application. In addition to the information below, please visit the P42 Funding Opportunities Webpage, which contains links to Suggested Research and Activities(304KB), Additional Resources, and Frequently Asked Questions (Coming Soon) for assisting P42 applicants in developing robust and relevant research projects and core activities.
Electronic Application Process
The SRP P42 is part of the multi-project application process facilitated by Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking (ASSIST). ASSIST aids the applicant with the electronic preparation and submission of multi-project applications through Grants.gov to NIH. Applications to this FOA must be submitted electronically; paper applications will not be accepted. ASSIST replaces the Grants.gov downloadable forms currently used with most NIH opportunities and provides many features to enable electronic multi-project application submission and improve data quality, including: pre-population of organization and PD/PI data, pre-submission validation of many agency business rules, and the generation of data summaries in the application image used for review.
Applicants also should refer to the NIH Office of Extramural Research SF424 (R&R) Application and Electronic Submission Information webpage for additional guidelines to prepare these complex multi-project/core applications
Other Attachments for RFA ES-14-007
Applicants should include, as part of the "Other Attachments" included with the overall component, the following items:
- Center Organizational Structure. Applicants may include a diagram of the organizational structure of the Center. This diagram should demonstrate how the interactions between the different Center components achieve the mandate-driven goals of the Center. The diagram should be loaded as a file titled "Center Organizational Structure" under the "SF424 (R&R) Research & Related Other Project Information" under "Other Attachments." In this diagram, applicants should indicate clearly which projects are biomedical and which are environmental science research.
- Tables for Overall Center:
- Table of Research Support Core Utilization. In order to assist the reviewers in determining the relationship between the Research Support Cores and the Research Projects, a table should be provided that indicates the percentage use of each core relative to the individual projects. This table should be loaded as a file titled "Table of Research Support Core Utilization" under the "SF424 (R&R) Research & Related Other Project Information" under "Other Attachments."
- Table of Changes to Projects and Cores. To assist review of renewal/resubmission applications, include a table listing projects and core components (by project title and project/core leader) that denotes which projects are new, continuing, substantially modified, finished/completed, or discontinued. This table should coincide in order and number with the projects and cores in the current application. In addition, indicate which projects are considered biomedical research and which are considered environmental science and engineering research. It is recommended that projects/cores are numbered consecutively (i.e., numbering should not be skipped if a project from a previous funding period is discontinued in the renewal application). Please label in the following format: new = N; continuing = C; substantially modified = M; finished/completed = F; or discontinued = D. This table should be loaded as a file titled "Table of Changes to Projects and Cores" under the "SF424 (R&R) Research & Related Other Project Information" under "Other Attachments."
- Table of Research Approaches. In order to facilitate the identification of projects and cores, a table should be included indicating the use of human subjects, vertebrate animals, international collaborations, and stem cells. Please list all research projects and cores. This table should be loaded as a file titled "Table of Research Approaches" under the "SF424 (R&R) Research & Related Other Project Information" under "Other Attachments."
- Training Core (Renewal Applications Only)
- Table of Trainees. In order to assist the review, a "Trainee List" is required for competitive renewal applications. In the "Trainee List," it is important that the application identify graduate student and postdoctoral researchers who participated in the Center's projects and/or Cores during the previous funding cycle. (The SRP considers a "trainee" to be either directly supported by the grant (e.g., stipend) or conducting a project/activity directly supported by the grant.) This list should be included in the Progress Report of the Training Core and should include the names of the trainees, their SRP Center-associated mentor name, and project/core. In addition, please indicate in the application that the trainee information has been entered into the NIH CareerTrac database.
- For examples of these tables, please see the following document: Examples of Tables for RFA-ES-15-019(190KB)
Frequently Asked Questions
SRP staff will gather and post Frequently Asked Questions (Coming Soon) throughout the duration of the release of RFA-ES-15-019 until the application due date of April 11, 2016. Please check here for updates.
Note: The P42 Funding Opportunities Webpage contains links to Suggested Research and Activities(304KB) and Additional Resources for assisting P42 applicants in developing robust and relevant research projects and core activities.