This document was prepared by the Superfund Research Program (SRP) in cooperation with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) participants in the Research to Risk Assessment (R2RA) Interagency Working Group. The intent of the document is to provide SRP grantees with best practices for establishing and maintaining constructive working relationships with officials at hazardous waste sites. The document focuses on National Priorities List (Superfund) sites but also offers suggestions that will be useful at other hazardous waste sites. The SRP believes that conducting work at these sites can help grantees test or apply research or community-engagement tools in real-world, field conditions and can accelerate the longer-term, broader application of innovative science.
- Best Practice Tips for SRP Grantees: How to Gain and Maintain Access to Superfund Sites (437KB) (Main Report)
- Executive Summary (288KB)
- Appendix 1 - EPA / ATSDR Contact List for the Superfund Research Program (485KB)
- Appendix 2 - Definition of Key Terms and Acronyms (161KB)
- Appendix 3 - Interviews with Three SRP Grantees on Site Access (498KB)
- Appendix 4 - Site-Specific Health and Safety Plan for the Tucson International Airport Superfund Site (2MB)