Women's Health Awareness Newsletter
Embark Upon Your Journey to a Healthier You
Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry with Duck Sauce and Hot Mustard
In January’s Virtual Series: RealTalk With the Experts, Allan Hatch, M.D., led a session on “Understanding and Reversing Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Most Chronic Illnesses”. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in women, and it may be prevented with proper nutrition and exercise. During this session, Women’s Health Awareness participants had questions on the benefits of a plant-based diet to improve health. Studies have shown that 80% of chronic diseases are preventable or reversible, especially with a shift to a plant-based diet.
What makes plant-based diets work to reverse or prevent disease? Plant-based diets can help improve blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels by limiting sodium, increasing fiber intake, and providing important nutrients to boost the immune system and reduce inflammation. Many plant-based dishes are tasty and can be created with a variety of fruits and vegetables, allowing an individual to take in their appropriate level of daily nutrients: vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Much research has shown a relationship between a plant-based diet, regular exercise, and decreased stress with weight loss, thus preventing and/or improving heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, most cancers, and overall, living a longer, healthier life.
Recipe was developed by Monique May, M.D. It is plant-based, tasty, and can be modified according to your diet or taste buds.
Stir Fry Rice
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, riced in food processor
- 1/4-1/2 block of extra firm tofu, drained of liquid and chopped or cubed
- 1 cup of bean sprouts, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- Fresh ginger, 1 inch, grated, divided
- 4 oz. white or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4-1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 3-4 tablespoons garlic stir fry oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Add stir fry oil to wok over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, ginger, and bell pepper, stir frequently, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In a separate small skillet add garlic stir fry oil over medium heat. Add tofu and break apart with a fork and “scramble” with turmeric until it looks like a scrambled egg (just a few minutes).
- Add cauliflower rice and remainder of garlic and ginger to wok, cook another 3 minutes.
- Add tamari or soy sauce and stir.
- Add bean sprouts and peas. Stir until well blended and warm throughout. Salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- 3-4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder (fresh is better)
- Mash apricot jam with fork to break down any large pieces of fruit.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk until blended well.
- Pour over stir fry and store any unused portion covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-2 teaspoons honey, added to taste, optional
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add honey, if desired, to cut the heat.