Women's Health Awareness Newsletter
Embark Upon Your Journey to a Healthier You
Are you looking for quick and healthy recipes to help you make smart choices for a healthy lifestyle? Eat kale! Kale is a dark, leafy green vegetable packed with vitamins and minerals. One cup of chopped raw kale provides more than 100% of the recommended daily amounts of vitamins A and K. Try this simple and delicious kale salad recipe.
Recipe provided by Patrice Carr from the Durham County Department of Public Health Nutrition Division.
- 6 large kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup grated ricotta salata or feta cheese
- 1/2 of an apple
- Wash kale and shake dry. Remove stems, break into small bite-sized pieces, and place in large bowl.
- Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil to a mason jar.
- Chop shallot and add to mason jar. Replace lid and shake until well mixed. Pour dressing over kale and toss.
- Sprinkle ricotta salata or feta cheese over kale.
- Chop apple into pieces and sprinkle on top of kale.