Network of WHO Collaborating Centres for Children’s Environmental Health
The primary purpose of the WHO Collaborating Center in Human Environmental Toxicology at the University of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay is to improve the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of environmentally induced diseases. The Centre has a major focus on training and research translation, and plays an active role in an international network of researchers committed to advancing children’s environmental health by:
- Conducting training on environmental health and human toxicology, with an emphasis on vulnerable groups, such as children.
- Preparing information documents and publications on human health and chemical exposures, including prevention materials and strategies.
← Back to Page
|Mail Address||University of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay WHO Centre
Department of Toxicology
Faculty of Medicine
Av Italia s/n. Hospital de Clínicas
7th floor. Room 1.
Montevideo ZC 11600. Uruguay
Tel. 598 24874000
|Other Research and Training Locations||Pediatric Environmental Unit
Enrique Claveaux Health Centre, Uruguay
RAP-ASSE, Uruguay (Primary Care Network, State Health Administration Service)
Toxicology Clinic and Pediatric Hospital, Pereira Rossell Hospital Centre, Uruguay
|Collaborators||Public Health Institute
RAP-ASSE (Primary Care Network, State Health Administration Service)
Intendencia Municipal de Montevideo (City Council)
Environmental Evaluation Service (SECA)
National Department of Environment (DINAMA)
Ministry of Housing, Territory and Environment
Ministry of Health, Occupational and Environmental Department
Ministry of Agriculture, National Direction of Agricultural Services
|Chemicals/Exposures Studied||Lead exposure and poisoning, carbon monoxide poisoning, pesticides in rural areas and domestic use, electrical and electronic waste, hazardous chemicals at home, mercury in the health sector|
|Health or Social Effects Studied||Poisonings, chronic diseases|
|Population(s) Studied||Children, pregnant women, and workers|
- Pascale A, Sosa A, Moll MJ, Couto S, Pose D, Laborde A, Bares C. 2014. Tobacco use in adolescents exposed to lead: preliminary results. J Subst Abuse Alcohol 2(3):1020.
- Antonio Pascale. 2014. Basura Electrónica y Salud Infantil: Estrategia de la Organización Mundial de la Salud (Electronic waste and children’s health: a strategy for the World Health Organization). [Link Antonio Pascale. 2014. Basura Electrónica y Salud Infantil: Estrategia de la Organización Mundial de la Salud (Electronic waste and children’s health: a strategy for the World Health Organization).]
- Laborde A, de Ben S, Tomasina F. 2010. Plomo Salud y Ambiente- Experiencia en Uruguay (Lead health and Environment – Experience in Uruguay).
- Amalia Laborde. 2010. Abordaje de los riesgos ambientales desde un prestador de Salud: Unidad Pediátrica Ambiental (UPA) (Addressing environmental risks from a health provider: Pediatric Environmental Unit).