In the past few months, two major assessments have been released that look at climate change from global and U.S. perspectives. In late March, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group II issued the report Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. In early May, the U.S. Global Change Research Program issued the Third National Climate Assessment. Both assessments draw from scientific evidence to state that climate change is occurring and is already affecting human health, among other impacts.
Full Article (338KB)
Did you miss a GEH podcast? Check out past Podcasts exploring Climate Change, the Sustainable Development Goals, WHO Collaborations, and Capacity Building! All podcasts are FREE and available on iTunes or on the Podcasts: Global Environmental Health Chat
Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are the leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for over 17 million deaths per year. The relationships between CVD risk factors and mortality can vary between populations, as shown by NIEHS-grantee Yu Chen, Ph.D., who examined the association between body mass index (BMI) and CVD mortality in more than 1.1 million south and east Asians.
Full Article (227KB)
- Ciguatera Fish Poisoning and Climate Change: Analysis of National Poison Center Data in the United States, 2001–2011 Full Text
- Effects of Woodsmoke Exposure on Airway Inflammation in Rural Guatemalan Women Full Text
- Estimating the Health Effects of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Strategies: Addressing Parametric, Model, and Valuation Challenges Full Text
- Predictors of Plasma DDT and DDE Concentrations among Women Exposed to Indoor Residual Spraying for Malaria Control in the South African Study of Women and Babies (SOWB) Full Text
- Variation by Diagnostic Subtype in Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated with Maternal Parity among Finnish Births Full Text
Training & Capacity Building
A former postdoctoral fellow in the NIEHS Laboratory of Molecular Genetics branch, Tammy Collins, Ph.D., now provides NIEHS trainees with much-needed professional development services as the Director of the Office of Fellows’ Career Development (OFCD).
Full Article (205KB)
- Featured Resource - World RePORT
Now featuring 2013 data for sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and East Asia/Pacific! World RePORT is an illustrative mapping database system designed to facilitate communication and coordination of biomedical research funded by major government agencies and philanthropic organizations around the world.
- New WHO Chemical Risk Assessment Network
The WHO Chemical Risk Assessment Network is a voluntary collaborative initiative whose overall goal is to improve chemical risk assessment globally through facilitating sustainable interaction between institutions on chemical risk assessment issues and activities.
- Clean Cooking Catalogue
The Clean Cooking Catalog, a partner-submission driven collaboration, from the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is a global database of cookstove and fuel performance information using key indicators such as stove features, specifications, emissions levels, efficiency, and safety from laboratory and field-testing.
International Symposium on Environment and Health 2014Beijing, China
July 4-5, 2014
August 24-28, 2014
August 24-28, 2014
August 27-29, 2014
Climate Summit 2014New York, New York
September 23, 2014