BPA Monitoring Study in Cashiers
Closed for Recruitment
Study / Trial Background
We intend to conduct a pilot study designed to measure BPA levels before and after occupational exposure to thermal paper used in cash registers. We will recruit cashiers from a local commercial store that is currently still using BPA-laden thermal paper and plans to switch to BPA-free paper in the near future. The study uses a within-subject comparison design, using serum and urine samples to determine whether BPA is detectable in the study population at sufficient levels to measure differences in paired samples. Two phases of sample collection are proposed: Phase I - collecting paired samples on two separate occasions before the implementation of BPA-free thermal paper use in cash registers; and Phase II - collecting paired samples on two separate occasions after the implementation of this change in thermal paper.
For more information on this study, please visit the Clinical Trials page for this study.
The study has completed enrollment.
- Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and older
- Genders Eligible for Study: Both
- Accepts Healthy Volunteers: No
To be eligible for the study, homes must be:
- Male or female 18 years of age or older at the time of enrollment
- Employed as a cashier at the site location
- Anticipate continued employment at this business for the duration of both phases of the study
- Able to understand and provide written informed consent to participate in the study
- Have a minimum of 24 hours off from work before providing pre-shift samples
- Participants may be healthy or have preexisting conditions.
Field Site Inclusion Criteria:
- Have a minimum of 20 employed cashiers
- Use BPA-laden thermal paper and is planning to switch to BPA-free thermal paper
- Have a private area that the study nurse can use for enrollment and collection of biological samples
- Willing to collaborate with study team to conduct study on-site
Study / Trial Location
NIEHS Clinical Research Unit (CRU) – Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA 27709
Protocol Number: 11-E-N074