General Toxicology and Cancer Group
- Cynthia V. Rider, Ph.D.
- Tel 984-287-3175
- P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop K2-12Durham, N.C. 27709
Cynthia Rider, Ph.D., joined the National Toxicology Program (NTP) as a toxicologist in 2010. As a study scientist in the Toxicology Branch, she designs and evaluates results from toxicological studies of chemicals selected for investigation by the NTP. She is particularly interested in developing methods for assessing mixture toxicity based on data from individual chemicals.
Rider received her B.S. from Tulane University, New Orleans, LA in Environmental Studies and Biology and her Ph.D. from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC in Environmental Toxicology. She completed post doctoral training in the Reproductive Toxicology Branch of the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, U. S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University.
- Wolf, C.J., Rider, C.V., Lau, C., Abbott, B.D. (2014) Evaluating the additivity of perfluoroalkyl acids in binary combinations on peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α activation. Toxicology. 316:43-54. [Abstract]
- Rider CV, Nyska AN, Cora MC, Kissling GE, Smith C, Travlos GS, Hejtmancik MR, Kooistra L, Morrison JP, Chan PC. Toxicity and carcinogenicity studies of Ginkgo biloba extract in rat and mouse: liver, thyroid, and nose are targets. Toxicologic pathology 2014 42(5):830-843. [Abstract]
- Hoenerhoff MJ, Pandiri AR, Snyder SA, Hong HH, Ton TV, Peddada S, Shockley K, Chan P, Rider C, Kooistra L, Nyska A, Sills RC. (2013). Hepatocellular carcinomas in B6C3F1 mice treated with Ginkgo biloba extract for two years differ from spontaneous liver tumors in cancer gene mutations and genomic pathways. Toxicologic Pathology 41(6):826-841. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Janardhan, K.S., Rao, D., Morrison, J.P., McPherson, C.A., Harry, G.J. (2012). Evaluation of N-butylbenzenesulfonamide (NBBS) neurotoxicity in Sprague-Dawley male rats following 27-day oral exposure. Neurotoxicology 33(6):1528-1535. [Abstract]
- Hotchkiss, A.K., Rider, C.V., Furr, J., Howdeshell, K.L., Blystone, C.R., Wilson, V.S., Gray, L.E. (2010). In utero exposure to an AR antagonist plus an inhibitor of fetal testosterone synthesis induces cumulative effects on F1 male rats. Reproductive toxicology (Elmsford, N.Y.) 30(2):261-270. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Hartig, P.C., Cardon, M.C., Lambright, C.R., Bobseine, K.L., Guillette Jr., L.J., Gray Jr., L.E., Wilson, V.S. (in press). Differences in sensitivity but not selectivity of xenoestrogen binding to alligator versus human estrogen receptor alpha. Environ. Toxicol. Chem.
- Rider, C.V., Furr, J., Wilson, V.S., Gray, L.E. (2010). Cumulative effects of in utero administration of mixtures of reproductive toxicants that disrupt common target tissues via diverse mechanisms of toxicity. Int. J. Androl. 33(2):443-462. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Hartig, P.C., Cardon, M.C., Wilson, V.S. (2009). Comparison of chemical binding to recombinant fathead minnow and human estrogen receptors alpha in whole cell and cell-free binding assays. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 28(10):2175-2181. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Hartig, P.C., Cardon, M.C., Wilson, V.S. (2009). Development of a competitive binding assay system with recombinant estrogen receptors from multiple species. Toxicol. Lett. 184:85-89. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Wilson, V.S., Howdeshell, K.L., Hotchkiss, A.K., Furr, J., Lambright, C.R., Gray, L.E. (2009). Cumulative effects of in utero administration of mixtures of "antiandrogens" on male rat reproductive development. Toxicol. Pathol. 37:100-113. [Abstract]
- Howdeshell, K.H., Rider, C.V., Wilson, V.S., Gray, L.E. (2008). Mechanisms of action of phthalate esters, individually and in combination, to induce abnormal reproductive development in male laboratory rats. Environ. Res. 108:168-176. [Abstract]
- Hotchkiss, A.K, Rider, C.V., Blystone, C.R., Wilson, V.S., Hartig, P.C., Ankley, G.T., Foster, P.M., Gray, C.L., Gray, L.E. (2008). Fifteen years after "Wingspread" — Environmental endocrine disruptors and human and wildlife health: Where we are today and where we need to go. Toxicol. Sci. 105(2):235-259. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Furr, J., Wilson, V.S., Gray, L.E. (2008). A mixture of seven antiandrogens induces reproductive malformations in rats. Int. J. Androl. 31:249-262. [Abstract]
- Howdeshell, K., Furr, J., Lambright, C.R., Rider, C.V., Wilson, V.S., Gray, L.E. (2007). Cumulative effects of dibutyl phthalate and diethylhexyl phthalate on male rat reproductive tract development: Altered fetal steroid hormones and genes. Toxicol. Sci. 99(1):190-202. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V. and LeBlanc, G.A. (2006). Atrazine stimulates hemoglobin accumulation in Daphnia magna: Is it hormonal or hypoxic? Toxicol. Sci. 93(2):443-449. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V. and LeBlanc, G.A. (2005). An integrated addition and interaction model for assessing toxicity of chemical mixtures. Toxicol. Sci. 87:520-528. [Abstract]
- Rider, C.V., Gorr, T.A., Olmstead, A.O., Wasilak, B.A., LeBlanc, G.A. (2005). Stress signaling: Coregulation of hemoglobin and male sex determination through a terpenoid signaling pathway in a crustacean. J. Exp. Biol. 208(1):15-23. [Abstract]