June K. Dunnick, Ph.D.
General Toxicology and Cancer Group
- June Dunnick, Ph.D.
Project Manager – Toxicologist
- Tel 984-287-3124
- 530 Davis Dr
Durham, NC 27713
June K. Dunnick, Ph.D., is a toxicologist in the Toxicology Branch, which promotes, designs and administers research programs to understand how environmental exposures affect the public’s health. Research is focused on identifying and evaluating the beneficial and harmful effects of environmental chemicals, drugs, metals and other chemicals of concern so that strategies can be developed to prevent exposures to harmful agents or to develop disease prevention strategies particularly for cancer, reproductive disease, and infectious diseases. This involves the design, analysis, and interpretation of experimental studies to identify biological effects, and extrapolation of results to man through the use metabolism/pharmacokinetic studies and mechanistic studies. Her responsibilities include serving as senior scientist for toxicologic and carcinogenesis studies and identifying new initiatives for the development of a better understanding of environmental disease, through the integration, extrapolation and analysis of data from a broad range of experimental studies. She also serves as a focus, representative and spokesperson for the Institute when reporting the findings from toxicology and carcinogenesis research studies.
Dr. Dunnick received a B.S. from Cornell University, Ithaca, New York , a Ph.D. from Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York, and a MBA from Kenan-Flagler Business School, UNC, Chapel Hill, NC. She completed postdoctoral work in the Department of Biochemistry, University of Rochester Medical School, Rochester, New York. Dr. Dunnick is a Diplomat of the American Board of Toxicology.
- Dunnick JK, Morgan DL, Elmore SA, et al. 2017. Tetrabromobisphenol A activates the hepatic interferon pathway in rats. Toxicology letters 266:32-41 [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK, Shockley KR, Morgan DL, et al. 2017. Hepatic transcriptomic alterations for N,N-dimethyl-p-toluidine (DMPT) and p-toluidine after 5-day exposure in rats. Archives of toxicology 91(4):1685-1696 [Abstract]
- Shimbo T, Dunnick JK, Brix A, et al. 2017 DNA Methylation Changes in Tbx3 in a Mouse Model Exposed to Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers. International journal of toxicology 36(3):229-238 [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK, Merrick A, Brix A, Morgan DL, Gerrish K, Flake G, Foley J, Shockley KR. 2016. Molecular Changes in the Nasal Cavity after N, N-dimethyl-p-toluidine Exposure. Toxicologic pathology 2016 44(6):835-847. [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK, Brix A, Sanders JM, Travlos GS. 2014. N,N-Dimethyl-p-toluidine, a Component in Dental Materials, Causes Hematologic Toxic and Carcinogenic Responses in Rodent Model Systems. Toxicol Pathol 42(3): 603-615. [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK, Sanders JM, Elmore S. Environmental chemical exposure may contribute to uterine cancer development: studies with tetrabromobisphenol A. Toxicologic pathology 2015 43(4):464-473. [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK, Nyska A. 2013. The toxicity and pathology of selected dietary herbal medicines. Toxicol Pathol 41(2): 374-386. [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK , Brix A, Cunny H, Vallant M , Shockley KR. Characterization of polybrominated diphenyl ether toxicity in Wistar Han rats and use of liver microarray data for predicting disease susceptibilities. Toxicologic pathology 2012 40(1):93-106. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Singh, B., Nyska, A., Peckham, J., Kissling, G.E., and Sanders, J.M. (2011) Investigating the potential for toxicity from long-term use of the herbal products, Goldenseal and Milk thistle. Toxicologic pathology 39(2):398-409. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., and Nyska, A. (2009) Characterization of liver toxicity in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice after exposure to the flame retardant containing lower molecular weight polybrominated diphenyl ethers. Experimental and toxicologic pathology : official journal of the Gesellschaft fur Toxikologische Pathologie 61(1):1-12. [Abstract]
- Lea, I.A., Jackson, M.A., Li, X., Bailey, S., Peddada, S.D., and Dunnick, J.K. (2007) Genetic pathways and mutation profiles of human cancer: site- and exposure-specific patterns. Carcinogenesis 9: 1851-1858. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Thayer, K.A., and Travlos, G.S. (2007) Inclusion of biomarkers for detecting perturbations in the heart and lung and lipid/carbohydrate metabolism in National Toxicology Program studies. Toxicological Sciences 100:29-35. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Heath, J, Farnell, D.R., Prejean, J.D., Haseman, J.K., and Elwell, M.R. (1997) Carcinogenic activity of brominated chemicals: studies with the flame retardant, 2,2-bis(bromomethyl)-1,3-propanediol in rodents, and comparison with the carcinogenicity of other brominated chemicals. Toxicologic Pathology 25:541-548.
- Dunnick, J.K. and Hailey, J.R. (1996) Phenolphthalein exposure causes multiple carcinogenic effects in experimental model systems. Cancer Research 56: 4922-4926. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Elwell, M.R., and Haseman, J.K. (1996) Decreased incidence of spontaneous mammary gland neoplasms in female F344 rats treated with amphetamine, methylphenidate, or codeine. Cancer Letters 102: 1-7. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Elwell, M.R., Radovsky, A.E., Benson, J.M., Hahn, F.F., Barr, E.B., and Hobbs, C.H. (1995) Comparative carcinogenic effects of nickel subsulfide, nickel oxide, or nickel sulfate hexahydrate exposures in the lung. Cancer Research 55:5251-5256. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Elwell, M.R., Huff, J. and Barrett, J.C. (1995) Experimental studies of mammary gland cancer and environmental chemicals. Carcinogenesis 16:173-179.
- Dunnick, J.K. and Hailey, R. (1995) Experimental studies on the long-term effects of methylphenidate hydrochloride. Toxicology 103: 77-84. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K., Elwell, M.R. and Bucher, J. (1994) Comparative toxicities of o-, m-, and p-nitrotoluene in 13-week feed studies in F344 rats and B6CF1 mice. Fund. Appl. Toxicol. 22:411-421. [Abstract]
- Yuan, J., Dunnick, J.K., Jones, E.C. and Findlay, J.W.A. (1994) Codeine toxicokinetics in rats during 2-year dosed feed study. Drug Metabolism and Disposition 22:14-20. [Abstract]
- Morgan, D.L., Dunnick, J.K., Goehl, T., Jokinen, M.P., Matthews, H.B., Zeiger, E. and Mennear, J. H. (1994) Summary of the National Toxicology Program Benzidine Dye Initiative. Environmental Health Perspectives 102:63-78. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J.K. and Melnick, R.L. (1993) Assessment of the carcinogenic potential of chlorinated water: experimental studies of chlorine, chloramine, and trihalomethanes. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 85:817-822. [Abstract]