Mamta V. Behl, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.
General Toxicology and Cancer Group
- Mamta Behl, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.
- Tel (919) 541-3340
- P.O. Box 12233
Mail Drop K2-12
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Delivery | Postal
Mamta Behl, Ph.D., D.A.B.T. is a toxicologist in the Toxicology Branch, which promotes, designs and administers research programs to understand how environmental exposures affect the public's health. As a study scientist, Behl leads, designs, evaluates and interprets rodent studies via the assembly and co-ordination of teams of scientists at the NTP in the disciplines of toxicology, pathology, statistics, chemistry, ADME, molecular biology and bioinformatics, and publishes findings as NTP technical reports and papers in scientific journals.
As a neurotoxicologist, Behl's responsibilities include developing testing strategies to assess developmental neurotoxicity (DNT) and neurotoxicity (NT) using in vitro and in vivo models. She is interested in the development of in vitro and alternate animal models to identify toxicity pathways for DNT and NT using genomics, metabolomics, and bioinformatics technologies to screen and prioritize compounds for in vivo testing. She also mentors post-doctoral fellows on issues related to neurotoxicity.
Behl received a B.S. in pharmaceutical sciences from the University of Mumbai, India; M.S. in Psychological Sciences (learning and memory) and Ph.D. in Neurotoxicology from Purdue University. Upon completion of her graduate work, she obtained her post-doctoral fellowship at the National Toxicology Program.
- Hsieh J-H, Sedykh A, Behl M, Huang R, Xia M, Tice RR. A Data Analysis Pipeline Accounting for Artifacts in Tox21 Quantitative High-Throughput Screening Assays. Journal of biomolecular screening 2015 20(7):887-897. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Rice JR, Smith MV, Co CA, Bridge MF, Hsieh J, Freedman JH, Boyd WA. 2016. Comparative Toxicity of Organophosphate Flame Retardants and Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers to C. elegans. Toxicological Sciences, doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfw162. [Abstract]
- Hong HH, Hoenerhoff MJ, Ton TV, Herbert RA, Kissling GE, Hooth MJ, Behl M, Witt KL, Smith-Roe SL, Sills RC, Pandiri AR7. Kras, Egfr, and Tp53 Mutations in B6C3F1/N Mouse and F344/NTac Rat Alveolar/Bronchiolar Carcinomas Resulting from Chronic Inhalation Exposure to Cobalt Metal. Toxicologic pathology 2015 43(6):872-882. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Stout MD, Herbert RA, Dill JA, Baker GL, Hayden BK, Roycroft JH, Bucher JR, Hooth MJ. Comparative toxicity and carcinogenicity of soluble and insoluble cobalt compounds. Toxicology 2015 33():195-. [Abstract]
- Harry GJ, Hooth MJ, Vallant M, Behl M, Travlos GS, Howard JL, Price CJ, McBride S, Mervis R, Mouton PR. (2014) Developmental Neurotoxicity of 3,3',4,4'-Tetrachloroazobenzene with Thyroxine Deficit: Sensitivity of Glia and Dentate Granule Neurons in the Absence of Behavioral Changes. Toxics 2(3):496-532. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Elmore SA, Malarkey DE, Hejtmancik MR, Gerken DK, Chhabra RS (2013). Perinatal Toxicity and Carcinogenicity Studies of Styrene–Acrylonitrile Trimer, A Ground Water Contaminant. Toxicology, 314(1), 84-94. [Abstract]
- Behl M., Rao D, Aagaard K, Davidson TL, Levin E, Slotkin TA, Srinivasan S,Wallinga D, White M, Walker V, Thayer K, Holloway AC (2013). Evaluation of the Association Between Maternal Smoking, Childhood Obesity, and Metabolic Disorders: A National Toxicology Program Workshop Report. Environmental Health Perspectives, 121(2),170-180 [Abstract]
- Behl M, Kadiiska MB, Hejtmancik MR, Vasconcelos D, Chhabra RS (2012). Subacute oral and dermal toxicity of tert-butyl hydroperoxide in Fischer F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2012 Feb 27. [Epub ahead of print] [Abstract]
- Surh I, Behl M, Elmore SA, Chhabra RS. Comparative dermal toxicity of dicyclohexylcarbodiimide and diisopropylcarbodiimide in rodents (2011). Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2012 [Epub ahead of print] [Abstract]
- Behl M, Nyska A, Chhabra RS, Travlos GS, Fomby LM, Sparrow BR, Hejtmancik MR, Chan PC (2011). Liver toxicity and carcinogenicity in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice exposed to Kava Kava. Food Chem Toxicol. Nov;49(11):2820-9. Epub 2011 Aug 18 [Abstract]
- Monnot AD, Behl M, Ho S and Zheng W. Regulation of brain copper homeostasis by the brain barrier systems: Effects of Fe-overload and Fe-deficiency. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011 Feb 19. [Abstract]
- Gu H, Wei X, Monnot AD, Fontanilla CV, Behl M, Farlow MR, Zheng W and Du Y. Lead exposure increases levels of β-amyloid in the brain and CSF and inhibits LRP1 expression in APP transgenic mice. Neurosci Lett. 2011 Feb 18;490(1):16-20. Epub 2010 Dec 16. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Zhang Y, Shi Y, Cheng J, Du Y and Zheng W. Lead-induced accumulation of beta-amyloid in the choroid plexus: Role of low density lipoprotein receptor protein-1 and protein kinase C. Neurotoxicology 2010 May 19. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Zhang Y, Monnot AD, Jiang W and Zheng W. Increased beta-amyloid levels in the choroid plexus following lead exposure and the involvement of low-density lipoprotein receptor protein-1. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2009 Oct 15; 240 (2):245-54. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Zhang Y and Zheng W. Involvement of insulin-degrading enzyme in the clearance of beta-amyloid at the blood-CSF barrier: Consequences of lead exposure. Cerebrospinal Fluid Res 2009 Sep 11; 6:11. [Abstract]