Matthew D. Stout, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.
Program Operations Branch
Matt Stout, Ph.D.
Matthew Stout, Ph.D., D.A.B.T, serves as a Project Officer/Contract Officer's Representative in the administration and monitoring of contracts for National Toxicology Program (NTP) toxicology and carcinogenicity studies and quality assessment activities. Stout is involved in the design, conduct, interpretation, and reporting of NTP research and testing activities that investigate the toxicology, carcinogenicity and mode of action of environmental substances in rodent models. He also serves as a project leader for a diverse array of NTP chemicals, including metals, herbals, industrial compounds, flame retardants, and compounds selected to understand the mechanistic link between peroxisome proliferation and hepatocarcinogenicity. The data generated from these studies serve as a resource to state and federal regulatory agencies for predicting potential health effects in humans.
Stout received a B.S. in biochemistry from North Carolina State University and a Ph.D. in toxicology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He was an NIEHS postdoctoral intramural research and training award (IRTA) fellow in applied toxicology and carcinogenesis in the NTP Toxicology Branch.
- Sayers BC, Stout MD, Roycroft JH, Germolec DR, Baker GL, Clark ML, Hayden BK, DeFord H, Dill JA, Gupta A, Walker NJ. Lung deposition and clearance of microparticle and nanoparticle C60 fullerene aggregates in B6C3F1 mice and Wistar Han rats following nose-only inhalation for 13 weeks. Toxicology 2016 339():87-96. [Abstract]
- Behl M, Stout MD, Herbert RA, Dill JA, Baker GL, Hayden BK, Roycroft JH, Bucher JR, Hooth MJ. Comparative toxicity and carcinogenicity of soluble and insoluble cobalt compounds. Toxicology 2015 33():195-. [Abstract]
- Witt KL, Stout MD, Herbert RA, Kissling GE, Collins BJ Travlos GS, Hooth MJ. (2013) Mechanistic insights from the NTP studies of chromium. Toxicol Pathol 41(2):326-342. [Abstract]
- Mercado-Feliciano M, Cora MC, Witt KL, Granville CA, Hejtmancik MR, Fomby L, Knostman KA, Ryan MJ, Newbold R, Smith C, Foster PM, Vallant MK, Stout MD. (2012) An ethanolic extract of black cohosh causes hematological changes but not estrogenic effects in female rodents. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 263(2):138-147. [Abstract]
- Cunningham ML, Collins BJ, Hejtmancik MR, Hebert RA, Travlos GS, Vallant MK, Stout MD. (2010) Effects of the PPARalpha agonist and widely used antihyperlipidemic drug Gemfibrozil on hepatic toxicity and lipid metabolism. PPAR Res; doi:10.1155/2010/681963 [Online 4 October 2010]. [Abstract]
- Collins BJ, Stout MD, Levine KE, Kissling GE, Melnick RL, Fennell TR, Walden R, Abdo K, Pritchard JB, Fernando RA, Burka LT, Hooth MJ. (2010) Exposure to hexavalent chromium resulted in significantly higher tissue chromium burden compared to trivalent chromium following similar oral doses to male F344/N rats and female B6C3F1 mice. Toxicol Sci 118(2):368-379. [Abstract]
- Levine KE, Stout MD, Ross GT, Essader AS, Weber FX, Grohse PM, Fernando RA, Milstein LS, Hooth MJ, Collins BJ. (2010) Validation and application of a method for the determination of total chromium in rat tissues by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 58(3):883-891. [Abstract]
- Levine KE, Stout MD, Ross GT, Essader AS, Perlmutter JM, Grohse PM, Fernando RA, Lang M, Collins BJ. (2009) Validation of a method for the determination of total chromium in rat feces by inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry. Anal Lett 42:2729-2746. [Abstract]
- Stout MD, Herbert RA, Kissling GE, Collins BJ, Travlos GS, Witt KL, Melnick RL, Abdo KM, Malarkey DE, and Hooth MJ (2009) Hexavalent chromium is carcinogenic to F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice after chronic oral exposure. Environ. Health Perspect, 117, 716-722. [Abstract]
- Stout MD, Nyska A, Collins BJ, Witt KL, Kissling GE, Malarkey DE, and Hooth MJ (2009) Chronic toxicity and carcinogenicity studies of chromium picolinate monohydrate administered in feed to F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice for 2 years. Food Chem. Toxicol, 47, 729-733. [Abstract]
- Stout MD, Kissling GE, Suárez FA, Malarkey DE, Herbert RA, and Bucher JR (2008) Influence of Helicobacter hepaticus infection on the chronic toxicity and carcinogenicity of triethanolamine in B6C3F1 mice. Toxicol. Pathol, 36, 783-794. [Abstract]
- Stout MD, Herbert RA, Kissling GE, Suarez F, Roycroft JH, Chhabra RS, and Bucher JR (2008) Toxicity and carcinogenicity of methyl isobutyl ketone in F344N rats and B6C3F1 mice following 2-year inhalation exposure. Toxicology, 244, 209-219. [Abstract]