Program Operations Branch
- Molly Kutty S. Vallant
- Tel (919) 541-5234
Fax (919) 541-3526
- P.O. Box 12233
Mail Drop K2-06
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Delivery | Postal
Molly Vallant is a toxicologist in the Program Operations Branch of the NTP and serves as a project officer for three contract toxicology laboratories. Vallant also serves as a resource person in contract management and performance and contributes toward new initiatives by the NTP. She participates in study design, the development of project plans and provides input to NIEHS staff in technical and logistical aspects of the NTP study designs. Vallant is a member of the NTP Management Committee, Toxicogenomics Faculty, TK Faculty, Project Review Committee and Protocol Approval Committee.
As a toxicologist, Vallant is involved in the design, conduct, interpretation and reporting of NTP research and testing activities that investigate the toxicology of several chemicals and new initiatives such gene therapy.
Some of the recent projects overseen by Vallant include:
- Toxicology and biodistribution studies with adenoviral vectors and adeno-associated viral vectors at BioReliance. These studies are a collaborative effort between NIEHS and the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR).
- The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) has requested that the NTP evaluate both QT prolonging and non-prolonging drugs in the conscious canine model to better establish the sensitivity and specificity of a conscious canine radio telemetry model system. The eventual goal is to evaluate the potential of a test agent to prolong QT interval at relevant exposure concentrations in humans. These studies are being completed at Battelle.
- Insertional Mutagenesis studies at Battelle are a collaborative effort with the FDA, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and Ohio State University. This study, a new initiative for NTP, evaluates pre-clinical models for the safety of retroviral vectors.
- Studies of Tetrachloroazobenzene are ongoing at RTI to evaluate neurobehavioral, immunologic and developmental endpoints in rodents. This is the first time the NTP has attempted to evaluate multiple toxicology endpoints in a single study.
Vallant received her B.S. in biology and chemistry and an M.S. in zoology from University of Kerala in India. She also received a B.S. in medical technology from the University of Dayton. She did an internship in Medical Technology at the St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Dayton, Ohio. Vallant has a Medical Technologist Board Certification [MT(ASCP)] by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists and a Clinical Laboratory Supervisor's License from the State of Florida Laboratory Personnel Licensing Board.
- Harry GJ, Hooth MJ, Vallant M, Behl M, Travlos GS, Howard JL, Price CJ, McBride S, Mervis R, Mouton PR. (2014) Developmental Neurotoxicity of 3,3',4,4'-Tetrachloroazobenzene with Thyroxine Deficit: Sensitivity of Glia and Dentate Granule Neurons in the Absence of Behavioral Changes. Toxics 2(3):496-532. [Abstract]
- Surh I, Brix A, French JE, Collins BJ, Sanders M, Vallant M, Dunnick JK. Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Study of Senna in C3B6.129F1-Trp53 tm1Brd N12 Haploinsufficient Mice. Toxicologic pathology 2013 41(5):770-778. [Abstract]
- Mercado-Feliciano M, Cora MC, Witt KL, Granville CA, Hejtmancik MR, Fomby L, Knostman KA, Ryan MJ, Newbold R, Smith C, Foster PM, Vallant MK, Stout MD. An ethanolic extract of black cohosh causes hematological changes but not estrogenic effects in female rodents. Toxicology and applied pharmacology 263(2):138-47, 2012. [Abstract]
- Dunnick JK , Brix A, Cunny H, Vallant M , Shockley KR. Characterization of polybrominated diphenyl ether toxicity in Wistar Han rats and use of liver microarray data for predicting disease susceptibilities. Toxicologic pathology 2012 40(1):93-106. [Abstract]
- Dunnick, J., Kissling,G., Gerken,D., Vallant, M. and Nyska, A. (2007) Cardiotoxicity of Ma Huang/Caffeine or Ephedrine/Caffeine in a rodent model System. Toxicol. Path. 35:657-664. [Abstract]
- A. Voutetakis1, C. Zheng1, J. Wang1, C. Goldsmith1, S. Afione1, J.A. Chiorini1, M.L. Wenk, M. Vallant, R.D. Irwin, and B.J. Baum. (2007) Gender differences in serotype 2 adeno-associated virus (AAV2) biodistribution after administration to rodent salivary glands. Hum Gene Ther. 18(11):1109-18. [Abstract]
- Zheng C., Goldsmith, C. M., Mineshiba, F., Chiorini, J. A., Kerr, A., Wenk, M. L., Vallant, M., Irwin, R. D., Baum, B. J. (2006) Toxicity and biodistribution of a first-generation recombinant adenoviral vector, encoding aquaporin 1, after retroductal delivery to a single rat submandibular gland. Hum Gene Ther. 17(11):1122-33. [Abstract]
- Elmore, S., Lanning, L., Allison, N., Vallant, M., Nyska, A. (2006) The transduction of rat submandibular glands by an adenoviral vector carrying the human growth hormone gene is associated with limited and reversible changes at the infusion site. Toxicol Pathol. 34(4):385-92. [Abstract]
- Zheng, C. Voutetakis, A., Kok M. R., Goldsmith, C. M., Smith, G. B., Elmore, S., Nyska, A., Vallant, M., Irwin, R. D., Baum, B. J. (2006) Toxicity and biodistribution of a first-generation recombinant adenoviral vector, in the presence of hydroxychloroquine, following retroductal delivery to a single rat submandibular gland. Oral Dis.; 12(2):137 44. [Abstract]
- Irwin, R. D., Parker, J. P., Lobenhofer, E. K., Burka, L. T., Blackshear, P. E., Vallant, M. K., Gerken, D. F., and Boorman, G. A. (2005) Transcriptional profiling with microarrays reveals differences in lobe expression in the left and median liver lobes of the rat following exposure to acetaminophen. Toxicol. Pathol. 33, 111-117.
- Boorman, G. A., Irwin, R. D., Vallant, M. K., Gerken, D. F., Lobenhofer, E. K., Hejtmancik, M. R., Hurban, P., Brys, A. M., Travlos, G. S., Parker, J. P., and Portier, C. J. (2005) Variation in the hepatic gene expression in individual male Fischer rats. Toxicol. Pathol. 33, 102-110. [Abstract]
- Boorman, G. A., Blackshear, P. E., Parker, J. P., Lobenhofer, E. K., Malarkey, D. E., Vallant, M. K., Gerken, and Irwin, R. D. (2005) Hepatic gene expression changes throughout the day in the Fischer rat: implications for toxicogenomic studies. Toxicol. Sci. 86, 185-193.
- Doi, A. M., Hailey, J. R., Hejtmancik, M., Toft II, J. D., Vallant, M., and Chhabra, R. (2005) Topical Application of Representative Multifunctional Acrylates Produced Proliferative and Inflammatory Lesions in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice. Toxicologic Pathology 33; 631-640. [Abstract]
- Wyde, M. E., Braen, A., Hejtmancik, M., Johnson, J. D., Toft II, J. D., Blake, J., Cooper, S. D., Mahler, J., Vallant, M., Bucher, J., and Walker, N. (2004) Oral and dermal exposure to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) induces cutaneous papillomas and squamous cell carcinomas in female homozygous Tg.AC transgenic mice. Toxicological Sciences 82; 34-35. [Abstract]
- Eastin, W, Mahler, J, Vallant, M, Bucher, J, Hejtmancik, M, Gerken, D, Wenk, M, and Lanning, L. (2001) Comparative Route Studies in Tg.AC Homozygous Mice. Toxicologic Pathology Supplement 29: 291-297.