Michael DeVito, Ph.D.
- Michael J. Devito, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, National Toxicology Program Laboratory
Group Leader, Predictive Toxicology and Screening Group
- Tel 919-541-4142
- 111 T W Alexander Dr
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Michael DeVito, Ph.D., is serving as the Acting Chief, NTP Laboratory. DeVito was most recently in the NTP Toxicology Branch leading the Experimental Toxicology Group, where his group was characterizing the toxicologic and/or carcinogenic potential of chemicals and agents nominated to the National Toxicology Program. He also served as the discipline leader for NTP pharmacokinetic modeling efforts.
Prior to coming to NIEHS/NTP in 2009, DeVito was a principal investigator in the Pharmacokinetics Branch of the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory at the US Environmental Protection Agency. From 2002-2009 DeVito was Chief of the Pharmacokinetic Branch. DeVito served as one of the lead health effects researchers on the US EPA’s Dioxin Reassessment from 1991-2009.
DeVito’s research interests include developing quantitative model to understand the relationships between exposure to environmental chemicals, tissue dose and toxicity for use in risk assessments.
DeVito received a Ph.D. in toxicology from the Joint Graduate Program in Toxicology at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey in 1992.
- Emond C, Michalek JE, Birnbaum LS, and DeVito MJ. Comparison of the Use of a Physiologically-Based Pharmacokinetic Model and a Classical Pharmacokinetic Models for Dioxin Exposure Assessments. Environ Health Perspect. 2005; 113(12):1666-1668. [Abstract]
- Crofton KM, Craft ES, Hedge JM, Gennings C, Simmons JE, Carchman RA, Carter, WH Jr., and DeVito MJ. Thyroid Hormone Disrupting Chemicals: Evidence for Dose-Dependent Additivity or Synergism. Environ Health Perspect. 2005; 113(11):1549-1554. [Abstract]
- Sidhu, S. Gullett, B. Striebich, R. Klosterman, J. Contreras, J. DeVito, M. Endocrine disrupting chemical emissions from combustion sources: diesel particulate emissions and domestic waste open burn emissions. Atmospheric Environment, 2005; 39:801-811.
- Emond C, Birnbaum LS, and DeVito MJ. Use of a physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for rats to study the influence of body fat mass and induction of CYP1A2 on the pharmacokinetics of TCDD. Environ Health Perspect. 2006; 114(9):1394-1400. [Abstract]
- Haws LC, Su SH, Harris M, DeVito MJ, Walker NJ, Farland WH, Finley B, Birnbaum LS. Development of a Refined Database of Mammalian Relative Potency Estimates for Dioxin-like Compounds. Toxicol Sci. 2006; Jan;89(1):4-30. [Abstract]
- Godin SJ, Scollon EJ, Hughes MF, Potter PM, Devito MJ, Ross MK. Species differences in the in vitro metabolism of deltamethrin and esfenvalerate: Differential oxidative and hydrolytic metabolism by humans and rats. Drug Metab Dispos. 2006; 34(10):1764-1771. [Abstract]
- van den Berg M, Birnbaum LS, Denison M, De Vito M, Farland W, Feeley M, Fiedler H, Hakansson H, Hanberg A, Haws L, Rose M, Safe S, Schrenk D, Tohyama C, Tritscher A, Tuomisto J, Tysklind M, Walker N, Peterson RE. The 2005 World Health Organization Re-evaluation of Human and Mammalian Toxic Equivalency Factors for Dioxins and Dioxin-like Compounds. Toxicol Sci. 2006; 93(2):223-241.
- Gennings, C.W. Carter, H Jr., Carchman, RA, DeVito, MJ. Simmons, JE, and Crofton, KM. The impact of exposure to a mixture of eighteen polyhalogenated aromatic hydrocarbons on thyroid function: Estimation of an Interaction Threshold. 2007; Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics 12:96-111.
- Godin SJ, Crow JA, Scollon EJ, Hughes MF, DeVito MJ, Ross MK. Identification of rat and human cytochrome p450 isoforms and a rat serum esterase that metabolize the pyrethroid insecticides deltamethrin and esfenvalerate. Drug Metab Dispos. 2007; Sep;35(9):1664-1671. [Abstract]
- Crofton, KM, Paul KT, DeVito, MJ and Hedge, JM. Short-term in vivo exposure to the water contaminant triclosan: Evidence for disruption of thyroxine. Environ. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 2007; 24:194-197.
- Richardson, VM, Staskal DF, Ross, DG, Diliberto JJ, DeVito, MJ, and Birnbaum, LS. Possible mechanisms of thyroid hormone disruption in mice by BDE 47, a major polybrominated diphenyl ether congener. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2008;226(3):244-250. [Abstract]
- Smialowicz RJ, DeVito MJ, Williams WC, Birnbaum LS. Relative potency based on hepatic enzyme induction predicts immunosuppressive effects of a mixture of PCDDS/PCDFS and PCBS. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008; Mar 15;227(3):477-284. [Abstract]
- Lee JS, Ward WO, Wolf DC, Allen JW, Mills C, Devito MJ, Corton JC. Coordinated Changes in Xenobiotic Metabolizing Enzyme Gene Expression in Aging Male Rats. Toxicol Sci. 2008; 106(1):263-283. [Abstract]
- Scollon ES, Starr JM, Godin SJ, Devito MJ, Hughes MF. In vitro metabolism of pyrethroid pesticides by rat and human hepatic microsomes and cytochrome P450 isoforms. Drug Metab Dispos. 2009; Jan;37(1):221-228. [Abstract]
- Wolansky, MJ. Gennings C, DeVito, MJ and Crofton, KM. Evidence of dose additive effects of pyrethroids on motor activity in rats. Environ. Hlth Persp. 2009; 17:1563-1570. [Abstract]
- Hedge JM, DeVito MJ, Crofton KM. In vivo acute exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls: effects on free and total thyroxine in rats. Int J Toxicol. 2009; Sep-Oct;28(5):382-391. [Abstract]
- Flippin JL, Hedge JM, DeVito MJ, Leblanc GA, Crofton KM. Predictive modeling of a mixture of thyroid hormone disrupting chemicals that affect production and clearance of thyroxine. Int J Toxicol. 2009; Sep-Oct;28(5):368-381. [Abstract]
- Paul KB, Hedge JM, DeVito MJ, Crofton KM. Short-term exposure to triclosan decreases thyroxine in vivo via upregulation of hepatic catabolism in young long-evans rats. Toxicol Sci. 2010; Feb;113(2):367-379. [Abstract]
- Gordon CJ, Gottipolu RR, Kenyon EM, Thomas R, Schladweiler MC, Mack CM, Shannahan JH, Wallenborn JG, Nyska A, MacPhail RC, Richards JE, Devito M, Kodavanti UP. Aging and susceptibility to toluene in rats: a pharmacokinetic, biomarker, and physiological approach. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2010; 73(4):301-318.
- Luke NS, Sams R 2nd, Devito MJ, Conolly RB, El-Masri HA. Development of a Quantitative Model Incorporating Key Events in a Hepatotoxic Mode of Action to Predict Tumor Incidence. Toxicol Sci. 2010; Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print] [Abstract]
- Scollon EJ, Starr JM, Crofton KM, Wolansky MJ, DeVito MJ, Hughes MF. Correlation of tissue concentrations of the pyrethroid bifenthrin with neurotoxicity in the rat. Toxicology 2011 290(1):1-6. [Abstract]
- Surh I, Brix A, French JE, Collins BJ, Sanders M, Vallant M, Dunnick JK. Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Study of Senna in C3B6.129F1-Trp53 tm1Brd N12 Haploinsufficient Mice. Toxicologic pathology 2013 41(5):770-778. [Abstract]
- Harvey JB, Hong HH, Bhusari S, Ton TV, Wang Y, Foley JF, Peddada SD, Hooth M, DeVito M, Nyska A, Pandiri AR, Hoenerhoff MJ. F344/NTac Rats Chronically Exposed to Bromodichloroacetic Acid Develop Mammary Adenocarcinomas With Mixed Luminal/Basal Phenotype and Tgfβ Dysregulation. Veterinary pathology 2016 53(1):170-181. [Abstract]