Michelle Cora, D.V.M., D.A.C.V.P.
Clinical Pathology Group
Michelle C. Cora, D.V.M., D.A.C.V.P.
Veterinary Medical Officer/NTP Clinical Pathologist
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop B3-06Durham, N.C. 27709
Michelle Cora, D.V.M., D.A.C.V.P., is a veterinary medical officer and board certified clinical pathologist working with Greg Travlos, D.V.M., D.A.C.V.P., in the NTP Clinical Pathology Group, which provides collaborative and consultative support to investigators at the NIEHS. Additionally, she provides clinical pathology oversight and preparation of technical reports for various NTP studies. Dr. Cora’s current research interests include disorders of the hematological system.
Dr. Cora received her B.S. degree in biology and chemistry from Illinois College in 1995 and her doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Illinois in 2000. After graduating from veterinary school, she moved to the Seattle area and practiced small animal medicine for 7 years. In July of 2007, she began her residency in veterinary clinical pathology at North Carolina State University - College of Veterinary Medicine. In 2010 Dr. Cora completed her residency training and accepted a position as a research fellow at NIEHS in CMPB/NTP Toxicological Pathology Training Program. She received her board certification from the American College of Veterinary Pathologists in 2011. She joined the Cellular and Molecular Pathology Branch’s staff in March of 2013 as a Veterinary Medical Officer/NTP clinical pathologist.
- Cora MC, Latimer K, Travlos GS. (2017). Bone Marrow. In: Boorman’s Pathology of the Rat (AW Suttie, ed.). pp. 495 – 519. Academic Press, San Diego, CA
- Cora MC, Gwinn W, Wilson R, King D, Waidyanatha S, Kissling GE, Brar SS, Olivera D, Blystone C and Travlos G. (2017). A black cohosh extract causes hematologic and biochemical changes consistent with a functional cobalamin deficiency in female B6C3F1/N mice. Toxicol Pathol 45, 614-623. [Abstract]
- Ryan KR, Cesta M, Toraason M, Herbert R, Brix A, Cora M, Witt K, Kissling G, Morgan DL. (2016) Comparative pulmonary toxicity of inhaled metalworking fluids in rats and mice. Toxicology and Industrial Health [epub ahead of publication]. [Abstract]
- Cora MC, Kooistra L, Travlos G. (2015). Vaginal cytology in the laboratory rat and mouse: review and criteria for the staging of the estrous cycle using stained vaginal smears. Toxicol Pathol 43, 776-93. [Abstract]
- Elmore SA, Cora MC, Gruebbel MM, Hayes SA, Hoane JS, Koizumi H, Peters R, Rosol TJ, Singh BP, Szabo KA. (2015). Proceedings of the 2014 National Toxicology Program satellite symposium. Toxicol Pathol 43, 10-40. [Abstract]
- Cora MC, Travlos GS. Bone Marrow. In: Cesta MF, Herbert RA, Brix A, Malarkey DE, Sills RC (Eds.), National Toxicology Program Nonneoplastic Lesion Atlas. [accessed Jan 2015]
- Elmore S, Boyle MC, Boyle MH, Cora MC, Crabbs TA, Cummings CA, Gruebbel MM, Johnson CL, Malarkey DE, McInnes EF, Nolte T, Shackelford CC, Ward JM. (2014). Proceedings of the 2013 National Toxicology Program satellite symposium. Toxicol Pathol 42, 12-44. [Abstract]
- Rider CV, Nyska A, Cora MC, Kissling GE, Smith C, Travlos GS, Hejtmancik MR, Fomby LM, Colleton CA, Ryan MJ, Kooistra L, Morrison JP, Chan PC. (2014). Toxicity and carcinogenicity studies of ginkgo biloba extract in rat and mouse: liver, thyroid, and nose are targets. Toxicol Pathol 42, 830-43. [Abstract]
- Cora MC, Neel JA, Grindem CB, Kissling GE, Hess PR. (2013). Comparison of automated neutrophil count to manual neutrophil count including blood smear evaluation for the detection of cellular abnormalities and monitoring of neutrophil counts in dogs receiving chemotherapy. J Am Vet Med Assoc 242, 1539-43. [Abstract]
- Cora, MC. (2012). Laboratory Tests: ACTH. In Clinical Veterinary Advisor: The Horse (DA Wilson, ed.), pp. 902-03. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO.
- Mercado-Feliciano M, Cora MC, Witt KL, Granville CA, Hejtmancik MR, Fomby L, Knostman KA, Ryan MJ, Newbold R, Smith C, Foster PM, Vallant MK, Stout MD. (2012). An ethanolic extract of black cohosh causes hematological changes but not estrogenic effects in female rodents. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 263, 138-47. [Abstract]
- Cora MC, King D, Betz LJ, Wilson R, Travlos GS. (2012). Artifactual Changes in Sprague-Dawley rat hematologic parameters after storage of samples at 3 °C and 21 °C. J Am Assoc Lab Anim 5, 616-21. [Abstract]
- Elmore SA, Berridge BR, Boyle MC, Cora MC, Hoenerhoff MJ, Kooistra L, Laast VA, Morrison JP, Rao D, Rinke M, Yoshizawa K. (2013). Proceedings of the 2012 National Toxicology Program satellite symposium. Toxicol Pathol 4, 151-180. [Abstract]