Cellular & Molecular Pathology Branch
Robert C. Sills, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Chief, Cellular & Molecular Pathology Branch, Interim Group Leader, Image Analysis Group
Tel (919) 541-0180
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop B3-06Durham, N.C. 27709
The Cellular and Molecular Pathology Branch (CMPB) provides toxicologic pathology leadership and laboratory animal medicine expertise to meet the goals of the National Toxicology Program and NIEHS using new technologies in biomedical research. In addition, CMPB provides training of pathology and laboratory animal medicine fellows to be leaders in multidisciplinary research.
CMPB medical scientists and staff are responsible for the following general functions:
- Directing, managing, evaluating and interpreting all pathology data generated during the conduct of NTP toxicity and carcinogenicity studies
- Establishing standards, terminology and diagnostic criteria for rodent pathology (NTP Nonneoplastic Lesion Atlas)
- Investigating molecular mechanisms of spontaneous and chemically induced nonneoplastic and neoplastic lesions in NTP studies
- Directing the NTP laboratory animal medicine program
- Providing diagnostic pathology expertise and collaborations with NIEHS investigators and the NIEHS laboratory animal colony
- Overseeing the scientific activities of the NTP archives and frozen tissue bank
- Developing new methods/approaches and technologies in pathology and laboratory animal medicine
- Leading state-of the-science core pathology laboratories which include:
- Clinical chemistry
- Electron Microscopy
- Laser Microdissection
- Phenotyping (Embryonic Lethality)
- Digital Imaging/Analysis
The Cellular and Molecular Pathology Branch is organized into seven scientific groups which are led by board certified pathologists and laboratory animal medicine scientists, and fellows of the international academy of toxicologic pathologists.
- Clinical Pathology – Gregory Travlos, D.V.M.
- Image Analysis – Robert Sills, D.V.M., Ph.D. (Interim Group leader)
- Molecular Pathology – Arun Pandiri, B.V.Sc., A.H., Ph.D.
- Mouse Embryo Phenotyping – Susan Elmore, D.V.M.
- NTP Laboratory Animal Medicine Program – Angela King-Herbert, D.V.M.
- NTP Pathology – David Malarkey, D.V.M., Ph.D.
- Pathology Support – Ronald Herbert, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Scientific Support Staff
Tel (919) 541-4995
Fax (301) 480-3116
Donna J. Roach
Tel (919) 541-3023
Tel (919) 541-5066
Fax (919) 541-7666