Raymond Tice, Ph.D.
- Ray Tice, Ph.D.
- Tel (919) 541-4482
- 530 Davis Dr
Durham, NC 27713
Raymond R. Tice, Ph.D. serves as an advisor to the NTP and the Biomolecular Screening Branch. Tice has played a key role in the establishment of the Toxicology in the 21st Century (Tox21) program. Tox21 is a federal collaboration between NIH, Environmental Protection Agency, and Food and Drug Administration to develop better toxicity assessment methods. Tice continues to support and advice NTP on its Tox21 and highthroughput screening efforts.
During his career, he has served on over 50 international expert panels and committees that are primarily related genetic toxicology and more recently to validation of alternative test methods. He has published 160 scientific papers and book chapters, edited four symposia proceedings and contributed to 23 electronic review publications, in support of the NTP chemical nomination process, and to 35 NICEATM-ICCVAM publications. Tice has served as a member of the editorial boards of Mutation Research and Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis.
Tice received his Ph.D. in biology in 1976 from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. He was employed by the Medical Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York from 1976 to 1988, and by Integrated Laboratory Sciences, Inc., Durham, North Carolina from 1988 to 2005, where his last position was as Senior Vice-President for Research and Development. He joined NIEHS in 2005 as the Deputy Director of the NTP Interagency Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods (NICEATM) and in 2008 was promoted to Chief of the Biomolecular Screening Branch.
- Huang R, Cho M-H, Sakamuru S, Shinn P, Houck KA, Dix DJ, Judson RS, Witt KL, Kavlock RJ, Tice RR, Austin CP. Chemical genomics profiling of environmental chemical modulation of human nuclear receptors. Environ Health Perspect 2011; 119(8): 1142-1148. [Abstract] [PDF]
- Lock EF, Abdo N, Huang R, Xia M, Kosyk O, O’Shea SH, Zhou Y-H, Sedykh A, Tropsha A, Austin CP, Tice RR, Wright FA, Rusyn I. Quantitative high-throughput screening for chemical toxicity in a population-based in vitro model. Toxicological Sciences 2012; 126(2): 578-588.
- Sakamuru S, Li X, Attene-Ramos MS, Huang R, Lu J, Shou L, Shen M, Tice RR, Austin CP, Xia M. Application of a homogenous membrane potential assay to assess mitochondrial function. Physiol Genomics 2012; 44: 495-503. [Abstract]
- Fox JT, Sakamuru S, Huang R, Teneva N, Simmons SO, Xia M, Tice RR, Austin CP, Myung K. High-throughput genotoxicity assay identifies antioxidants as inducers of DNA damage response and cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2012; 109: 5423-5428. [Abstract] [PDF]
- Shukla SJ, Huang R, Simmons SO, Tice RR, Witt KL, VanLeer D, Ramabhadran R, Austin CP, Xia M. Profiling environmental chemicals for activity in the antioxidant response element signaling pathway using a high-throughput screening approach. Environ Health Perspectives 2012 120(8):1150-1156. [Abstract] [PDF]
- Merrick BA, Auerbach SS, Stockton PS, Foley JF, Malarkey DE, Sills RC, Irwin RD, Tice RR. Testing an aflatoxin B1 gene signature in rat archival tissues. Chem Res Toxicol 2012; 25: 1132−1144. [Abstract] [PDF]
- Sun H, Veith H, Xia M, Austin CP, Tice RR, Kavlock RJ, Huang R. Prediction of cytochrome P450 profiles of environmental chemicals with QSAR models built from drug-like molecules. Molecular Informatics 2012; 31: 783-792.
- Tice RR, Austin CP, Kavlock RJ, Bucher JR. Transforming public health protection: A U.S. Tox21 progress report. Environ Health Perspect 2012; 121: 756–765.
- Teng CT, Goodwin B, Shockley K, Xia M, Huang R, Norris J, Merrick BA, Jetten AM, Austin CP, Tice RR. Bisphenol A affects androgen receptor function via multiple mechanisms. Chemico-Biological Interactions 2013 203(3): 556-564. [Abstract]
- Merrick BA, Phadke DP, Auerbach SS, Mav D, Stiegelmeyer SM, Shah RR, Tice RR. RNA-Seq profiling reveals novel hepatic gene expression pattern in aflatoxin B1 treated rats. PLOS ONE 2013 8(4):e61768-. [Abstract]
- Li Y, Luh CJ, Burn KA, Arao Y, Jiang Z, Teng CT, Tice EE, Korach KS. Endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs): in vitro mechanism of estrogenic activation and differential effects on ER target genes. Environ Health Perspect 2013; 121(4): 459-466. [Abstract]
- Tice RR, Austin CP, Kavlock RJ, Bucher JR. Improving the human hazard characterization of chemicals: a Tox21 update. Environ Health Perspect 2013; 121(7):756-765. [Abstract]
- Judson R, Kavlock R, Martin M, Reif D, Houck K, Knudsen T, Richard A, Tice RR, Whelan M, Xia M, Huang R, Austin C, Daston G, Hartung T, Fowle III JR, Wooge W, Tong W, Dix D. Perspectives on validation of high-throughput pathway-based assays supporting the 21st century toxicity testing vision. ALTEX 2013 30(1):51-66. [Abstract]
- Attene-Ramos MS, Huang R, Sakamuru S, Witt KL, Beeson GC, Shou L, Schnellmann RG, Beeson C, Tice RR, Austin CP, Xia M. A systematic approach for studying the mitochondrial toxicity of environmental chemicals using quantitative high throughput screening. Chemical Res Toxicol 2013; 26: 1323-1332.
- Attene-Ramos MS, Miller N, Huang R, Michael S, Itkin M, Kavlock RJ, Austin CP, Shinn P, Simeonov A, Tice RR, Xia M. The Tox21 robotic platform for assessment of environmental chemicals - from vision to reality. Drug Discovery Today 2013; 18: 716-723.
- Huang R, Sakamuru S, Martin MT, Reif DM, Judson RS, Houck KA, Casey W, Hsieh JH, Shockley KR, Ceger P, Fostel J, Witt KL, Tong W, Rotroff DM, Zhao T, Shinn P, Simeonov A, Dix DJ, Austin CP, Kavlock RJ, Tice RR, Xia M. Profiling of the Tox21 10K compound library for agonists and antagonists of the estrogen receptor alpha signaling pathway. Scientific reports 2014 4():5664-. [Abstract]
- Attene-Ramos MS, Huang R, Michael S, Witt KL, Richard A, Tice RR, Simeonov A, Austin CP, Xia M. Profiling of the Tox21 chemical collection for mitochondrial function to identify compounds that acutely decrease mitochondrial membrane potential. Environ Health Perspect 2014. [Abstract]
- Shaughnessy DT1, McAllister K, Worth L, Haugen AC, Meyer JN, Domann FE, Van Houten B, Mostoslavsky R, Bultman SJ, Baccarelli AA, Begley TJ, Sobol RW, Hirschey MD, Ideker T, Santos JH, Copeland WC, Tice RR, Balshaw DM, Tyson FL. Mitochondria, energetics, epigenetics, and cellular responses to stress. Environmental Health Perspectives 2014 122(12):1271-1278. [Abstract]
- Abdo N, Xia M, Brown CC, Kosyk O, Huang R, Sakamuru S, Zhou YH, Jack JR, Gallins P, Xia K, Li Y, Chiu WA, Motsinger-Reif AA, Austin CP, Tice RR, Rusyn I, Wright FA. (2015). Population-based in vitro hazard and concentration-response assessment of chemicals: the 1000 genomes high-throughput screening study. Environ Health Perspect., 123(5):458-466. [Abstract]
- Hsieh J-H, Sedykh A, Behl M, Huang R, Xia M, Tice RR. A Data Analysis Pipeline Accounting for Artifacts in Tox21 Quantitative High-Throughput Screening Assays. Journal of biomolecular screening 2015 20(7):887-897. [Abstract]
- Merrick BA, Paules RS, Tice RR. Intersection of toxicogenomics and high throughput screening in the Tox21 program: an NIEHS perspective. International journal of biotechnology 2015 14(1):7-27. [Abstract]
- Sand S, Parham F, Portier CJ, Tice RR, Krewski D. Comparison of Points of Departure for Health Risk Assessment Based on High-Throughput Screening Data. Environmental health perspectives 2016 Jul 6. [Abstract]