The Division of the National Toxicology Program (DNTP) is an intramural division at NIEHS. DNTP scientists use a variety of traditional and cutting-edge approaches to better understand how factors in our environment may impact our health. Our scientists work in multidisciplinary teams and collaboratively with scientists in other federal agencies, institutes, industry, and academia.
DNTP’s mission is to improve public health through data and knowledge development that are translatable, predictive, and timely. This is accomplished by achieving the following goals:
- Collaborate with public stakeholders and global partners to identify and address public health issues.
- Generate and communicate trusted scientific information to support decision making on environmental hazards of public interest.
- Lead the transformation of toxicology through the development and application of innovative tools and strategies.
- Educate and train the next generation of translational scientists to be innovative leaders in the field.
DNTP rolled out a new strategic planning framework in late 2020 to guide the division's work.
Much of the work carried out by DNTP is in support of the National Toxicology Program (NTP), an interagency partnership of the Food and Drug Administration, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and NIEHS. DNTP activities supporting NTP include toxicology testing, laboratory research, and literature-based assessments. It also includes oversight of NTP communications, databases, website, advisory groups, and the peer review of draft NTP products.
DNTP is comprised of five branches, as well as the five offices in the Scientific Director's Office.
Recent Stories about DNTP Activities
- Strategic Changes Position DNTP for Focused, Innovative Research (January 2022)
- Inhalation Exposures, Emerging Chemicals Addressed by NIEHS Scientists (May 2021)
- John Bucher, Who Studied Toxic Agents From A to Z, Retires From NIEHS (May 2021)
- NIOSH 50th anniversary honored by National Toxicology Program (April 2021)
- Dixon, Germolec, King-Herbert Step Into Leadership of Global Scientific Organizations (March 2021)
- Innovative Research Into Cancer, Mixtures Headlines DNTP Board Meeting (March 2021)
- Novel Strategies for Toxicological Research Discussed by NTP Board (January 2021)
- NIEHS researchers shine at 59th annual Society of Toxicology Meeting (June 2020)
- Botanical safety taken on by new consortium (April 2020)
- GenX affects function of proteins that protect the brain (April 2020)