The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health and Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., A.T.S.
Director, NIEHS & NTP
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop B2-01Durham, N.C. 27709
Brian R. Berridge, D.V.M., Ph.D., D.A.C.V.P.
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Scientific Director, National Toxicology Program Division
530 Davis Dr
Durham, NC 27713
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of NTP. Brian Berridge, D.V.M, Ph.D., serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Berridge provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- New NTP leadership brings new direction - November 2018
- High exposure to radio frequency radiation associated with cancer in male rats - November 2018
- CLARITY-BPA releases grantee data and core study report - October 2018
- PFAS in the spotlight across the globe - October 2018
- Regulators play key roles in replacing animals in tox testing - October 2018
- NTP Framework for Innovation Rolled Out at Board Meeting - July 2018
- NTP Cell Phone Studies — Experts Recommend Elevated Conclusions - April 2018
- Many NIEHS and NTP Advances Shared at 2018 SOT - April 2018
- Honors for Guilarte and Richard at Society of Toxicology Meeting - April 2018
- NTP Releases First CLARITY-BPA Report, More to Come - March 2018
- NTP board meeting highlights new tools, technologies, and methods - January 2018
- Brian Berridge takes the helm at the National Toxicology Program - January 2018
- Tox Challenge — stage two winners announced - November 2017
- Prenatal fluoride exposure linked to lower intelligence in children - October 2017