National Toxicology Program (NTP) Division
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health and Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., A.T.S.
Director, NIEHS & NTP
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop B2-01Durham, N.C. 27709
John R. Bucher, Ph.D.
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Director, National Toxicology Program Division
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop K2-02Durham, N.C. 27709
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of the NTP. John Bucher, Ph.D., serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Bucher provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
The NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of the NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- Experts concur with three draft NTP reports - August 2017
- New technologies highlighted at toxicology meetings - August 2017
- Panel supports six disinfection byproducts as potential carcinogens - August 2017
- NIEHS and French health and safety agency formalize partnership - April 2017
- NIEHS and NTP talk science at Society of Toxicology meeting - April 2017
- NTP Archives support global cancer research initiative - March 2017
- NTP supports first study of BPA levels in U.S. factor workers - February 2017
- Friends of NIEHS gather to learn latest in environmental health research - February 2017
- Research collaborations take center stage at NTP board meeting - January 2017