National Toxicology Program (NTP) Division
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health and Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., A.T.S.
Director, NIEHS & NTP
John R. Bucher, Ph.D.
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Director, National Toxicology Program Division
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of the NTP. John Bucher, Ph.D., serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Bucher provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
The NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of the NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- NTP board advises on study nomination and more
- NTP releases rodent studies on cell phone radiofrequency radiation - June 2016
- Challenges in studying hazards of botanicals explored at NTP workshop - June 2016
- Light and disruption of sleep cycles explored at NTP workshop - April 2016
- Expert panel agrees with draft NTP reports - March 2016
- Society of Toxicology meeting to feature sessions led by NIEHS and NTP - March 2016