NTP Interagency Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods (NICEATM)
NICEATM is an office within NTP that evaluates alternatives to animal use for chemical safety testing of chemicals. Alternative test methods:
- Replace traditional animal models with non-animal systems such as computational models or biochemical or cell-based systems, or replaces one animal species with a less highly developed one (for example, replacing a mouse with a worm)
- Reduce the number of animals used to the minimum number required to obtain scientifically valid data
- Refine procedures to lessen or eliminate animal pain and distress, or improve animal well-being
NICEATM activities include:
- Supporting the Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Validation of Alternative Methods (ICCVAM), a committee representing 16 U.S. federal regulatory and research agencies that generate or use toxicity testing data
- Providing bioinformatics and computational toxicology support to NIEHS and NTP projects, especially those related to Tox21
- Conducting and publishing analyses and evaluations of data from new testing approaches
- Organizing workshops and symposia on relevant topics of interest
- Providing information to test method developers, regulators, and the regulated community through its website and other communications
NICEATM and ICCVAM work together to:
- Evaluate new, revised, and alternative test methods with regulatory applicability, and provide recommendations on their use to federal agencies
- Promote the scientific validation and regulatory acceptance of alternative methods
- Foster national and international harmonization of alternative methods
ICCVAM welcomes submissions of alternative safety testing methods for validation studies or evaluations. Information on preparing submissions is available on the NTP website.
ICCVAM is coordinating the development of a strategic roadmap for incorporating new approaches into safety testing of chemicals and medical products in the United States.
The Scientific Advisory Committee on Alternative Toxicological Methods provides external advice on ICCVAM and NICEATM activities.
Warren Casey, Ph.D.
Director – NICEATM
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop K2-16Durham, N.C. 27709
Nicole Kleinstreuer, Ph.D.
Deputy Director - NICEATM
530 Davis Dr
Durham, NC 27713
Elizabeth Maull, Ph.D.
Toxicologist; Program Administrator
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop K2-17Durham, N.C. 27709
Environmental Factor Articles
- Speeding the adoption of alternative safety tests
- International meeting highlights NTP efforts to replace animal tests
- New technologies highlighted at toxicology meetings
- Public forum on alternatives to animal testing highlights next steps
- NIEHS grantee validates tissue chips for toxicity testing
- Kleinstreuer highlights groundbreaking approaches to safety testing
- Teratology Society recognizes Kleinstreuer