The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is home to the National Toxicology Program , a Health and Human Services interagency program dedicated to testing and evaluating substances in our environment.
Linda S. Birnbaum, Ph.D., D.A.B.T., A.T.S.
Director, NIEHS & NTP
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop B2-01Durham, N.C. 27709
Brian R. Berridge, D.V.M., Ph.D., D.A.C.V.P.
Associate Director, National Toxicology Program
Scientific Director, National Toxicology Program Division
P.O. Box 12233Mail Drop K2-02Durham, N.C. 27709
As Director of NIEHS, Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. also serves as the Director of NTP. Brian Berridge, D.V.M, Ph.D., serves as NTP Associate Director and Director of the NTP Division, which is housed at NIEHS. Berridge provides daily oversight and guidance to the Program.
NTP is comprised of three core agencies:
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR) , Food and Drug Administration
The National Toxicology Program Division oversees and carries out the activities of NTP.
The Division is responsible for carrying out the goals of NTP including:
- Providing toxicological evaluations on substances of public health concern
- Developing and validating improved toxicology methods (more sensitive, specific, and rapid)
- Developing approaches and generating data to strengthen the science base for risk assessments
- Communicating results with all stakeholders
The National Toxicology Program Division is comprised of four branches and the NTP Laboratory, as well as the five offices in the Division Office.
Recent Stories about NTP Activities
- NIEHS steals the show at the 58th annual Society of Toxicology meeting - April 2019
- Chemotherapy workers face risks, reduced with safe handling - March 2019
- NTP board explores new directions - March 2019
- Sarin poses health risk after initial effects, peer reviewers agree - March 2019
- MOU aims to improve cardiovascular safety of pharmaceuticals - March 2019
- NTP celebrates 40 years with accolades, reflection - January 2019
- Science counselors focus on NTP research translation - January 2019
- New NTP leadership brings new direction - November 2018
- High exposure to radio frequency radiation associated with cancer in male rats - November 2018
- CLARITY-BPA releases grantee data and core study report - October 2018
- PFAS in the spotlight across the globe - October 2018
- Regulators play key roles in replacing animals in tox testing - October 2018
- NTP Framework for Innovation Rolled Out at Board Meeting - July 2018