May 9-11, 2018
Purpose of the Awardee Meeting
The semi-annual WTP Awardee Meeting brought awardees together to provide program updates, exchange information regarding training, and discover new areas of interest to awardees.
Purpose and Scope of the Trainers’ Exchange
The 7th National Trainer’s Exchange was hosted by the Western Region Universities Consortium (WRUC) in conjunction with the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) Worker Training Program (WTP). A trainers' exchange is designed for trainers to share best practices and new techniques through a series of workshops conducted by the trainers themselves. The goals are to meet and share ideas about how to create more effective and empowering training, improve training skills, and exchange best practices and techniques. The National Trainers’ Exchange brought together over 350 Department of Energy safety and health training stakeholders and trainers from all WTP hazardous waste training programs to meet and exchange ideas about how to make training for hazardous materials and emergency response workers more effective and empowering. For more information, please read the eFactor article on the 2018 Trainers' Exchange.
Click on the links below to view the presentations from the Spring Awardee Meeting and Trainers Exchange.
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
|1:05-1:45 p.m.|| NIEHS Program Updates (3MB)
|1:45-2:15 p.m.|| NIEHS Grants Management (662KB)
|2:15-2:30 p.m.|| Clearinghouse Update (127KB)
|2:30-3:45 p.m.||Opioid Issue - Workplace Safety and Health/Clandestine Drug Labs
|4:00-5:00 p.m.||Concurrent Sessions
Business Official Meeting (875KB)
Workshop Track Descriptions:
- (EL) E-Learning: This track focused on workshops that incorporated e-learning and technology into training to enhance training for workers.
- (LS) Life Skills and Job Training: This track focused on workshops that explored life skills training, as well as methods to prepare trainees for the work environment, including finding, obtaining, and keeping employment.
- (TA) Training Approaches for Worker and Community Empowerment: This track focused on training methodologies that empowered workers and encouraged them to actively engage in workplace safety and health discussions.
- (HW/ER) Hazardous Waste Worker Training and Disaster/ Emergency Response and Preparedness: This track focused on new information and/or innovative training methods that could be used in teaching hazardous waste, disaster/emergency response and preparedness courses, including infectious disease outbreaks, DOE sites, etc.
- (ID) Instructor Development: This track focused on courses that provided instructors with different and innovative knowledge and skills to deliver more effective training.
- (ST) Specific Hazard/Topics: Workshops in this track provided information on specific hazards or topic areas.
- Roundtable Sessions: Roundtable sessions provided an opportunity for more in-depth discussion on specific topics. Most roundtable sessions were run with multiple tables, each discussing a different topic. Attendees had the opportunity to participate in each roundtable discussion during the session.
National Trainers' Exchange
Thursday, May 10, 2018
|8:00-10:00 a.m.||Opening Plenary Session
|10:15-11:00 a.m.||Workshop Block 1
|11:15 a.m.- noon||Workshop Block 2
|noon - 1:15 p.m.||Historic Bites from WTP: Today’s Lunch Specials
|1:15 - 2:45 p.m.||Workshop Block 3
|3:00 - 3:45 p.m.||Workshop Block 4
|4:00 - 5:30 p.m.||Workshop Block 5
Friday, May 11, 2018
|8:00-9:30 a.m.||Workshops Block 6
|9:45 - 10:30 a.m.||Workshops Block 7
|10:45-11:30 a.m.||Workshops Block 8
|12:45-1:30 p.m.||Workshops Block 9
|1:45-3:15 p.m.||Workshops Block 10
|3:30-5:00 p.m.||Closing Plenary Session
Voices of the Future