Monday, February 28 — Tuesday, March 1, 2022
February 28, 2022 • 11:00 a.m. — 5:00 p.m. EST
March 1, 2022 • 11:00 a.m. — 4:45 p.m. EST
Our environment, including exposures in the physical, built, and social environments, can negatively affect the health of individuals and communities. These environmental exposures disproportionately impact racial and ethnic minority groups, disadvantaged and under-resourced communities. Given the interconnectedness of the environment with individual- and structural-level social determinants of health, ensuring equitable implementation of interventions, programs, and policies that prevent or mitigate these environmental exposures is urgently needed. Implementation science is the study of methods to promote the adoption and integration of evidence-based interventions, programs, and policies into community, public health, and clinical settings. The purpose of this workshop was to explore how environmental health scientists can use implementation science to inform the development, adaptation, implementation and scale-up of interventions, practices, and policies to prevent and/or mitigate potentially harmful environmental exposures and ultimately advance environmental health equity.
- To bring together environmental health scientists and implementation scientists to define the current state of their disciplines in health disparities research and to discuss how implementation science approaches can be used to advance environmental health equity
- To identify research opportunities and gap areas to promote equitable implementation of evidence-based environmental health interventions in health disparity and environmental justice communities
- To identify resources, training, and capacity building needs as well as opportunities for collaboration to support the use of implementation science that advances environmental health equity
Workshop topics included:
- What Is Implementation Science & Why Does It Matter for Environmental Health?
- Implementation Science in the Context of Environmental Health Disparities & Environmental Justice Research
- Evidence-Based Prevention & Interventions
- Emerging Environmental Health Issues (e.g., climate change, disasters)
- Community & Multi-Sectoral Partnerships
See the Agenda (296KB), Speaker Biographies, Workshop Presentations, and Resources (275KB) of this free virtual workshop.
- Advancing Environmental Health Equity Through Implementation Science Day 1
- Advancing Environmental Health Equity Through Implementation Science Day 2
For questions on the workshop content, please contact Lindsey A. Martin at 984-287-4036. For logistical questions, please contact Devan E. Smith-Brown or at 703-765-0060, 112.
For More Information
For more information on implementation science, please visit our new website and listen to this PEPH Podcast!