American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA)
The SRP received stimulus funds to provide opportunities for grantees and students. With these funds, NIEHS provided the following:
- Accelerating the Pace of Science: The purpose of these grants is to advance the mandates of the SBRP by allowing for expanded research capacity through the addition of staff and expansion of research studies.
- Enchancing Research Collaboration and Translation: The purpose of these grants is to encourage research collaborations through sharing laboratory resources and analytical services, building on research synergisms through collaborations; reaching out to new partners, and creating new jobs to include new investigators.
- Improving the Diversity of the Research Workforce: The purpose of these grants is to improve the diversity of the research workforce by supporting and recruiting students, postdoctorates, and eligible investigators from groups that have been shown to be underrepresented.
- Multi-Project Programs: NIEHS awarded Louisiana State University and New York University multi-project research grants. These grants are similar in nature and design as the other SRP multi-project research grants.
- Summer Research Experiences: NIEHS provided SRP grantees with funds to support students and teachers with the goal of promoting health science research careers and provide research experiences in NIH-funded laboratories. In addition, supplements were available to SRP-funded graduate students and post-doctoral students to pursue internships in federal laboratories such as the EPA and ATSDR. Information about the these activities will be available soon.