Program Analysis Branch
Tel (919) 541-4259
Fax (301) 480-3142
P.O. Box 12233
Mail Drop K3-13
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Jerry Phelps is a program analyst in the Division of Extramural Research and Training at NIEHS. He has worked at NIH since 1985, including positions as a laboratory technician, biologist, NIH management intern, and program analyst. Mr. Phelps designs and conducts analyses and evaluations of DERT research programs. His responsibilities include determining the scientific discipline and assignment of incoming grant applications, and preparing various reports and documents illustrating the importance and public health relevance of NIEHS-supported research.
Mr. Phelps is the recipient of a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service and numerous NIH merit and special act awards. He is active in several NIEHS and NIH committees involved in analysis, evaluation, communications, and training.
Areas of Specialty:
- Analysis of scientific specialty and application assignment to program officers and grants management specialists
- IMPACII applications and QVR searches for analysis of grant portfolios
- Analyses and reporting of funding in specific scientific programs or public health issues
- Branch representative to the scientific and research program support contract
- Preparation of various research highlight documents
- Various analysis and evaluation activities