2009 External Advisory Panel Reports
Superfund Research Program
In 2008, the NIEHS Superfund Research Program (SRP) established an External Advisory Panel (EAP) as a working group of the National Advisory Environmental Health Sciences (NAEHS) Council. The purpose of the independent panel was to provide insight regarding the SRP's development of a framework to remain responsive to its mandates:
- Meeting current research needs while anticipating emerging issues that pertain to hazardous substances in the environment;
- Targeting best scientists and best approaches; and
- Moving research from the lab into the practical arena.
Dr. William Farland served as Chair of the Panel, and Ms. Nsedu Obot Witherspoon represented the NAEHS. Panelists included well-respected members of academia, industry, and not-profit organizations; they were selected based on their knowledge of—and familiarity with—areas important to the SRP.
The Panel was provided with a briefing document containing basic information on essential aspects of the Program. Members met three times via conference call, and in January 2009, participated in a two-day face-to-face meeting that developed a consolidated response to the EAP's charge. In August 2009, the Panel provided a final report to the SRP.
- 2009 External Advisory Panel Report (927KB)
- 2009 External Advisory Panel Executive Summary (821KB)
- 2009 External Advisory Panel Briefing Materials
- 2009 External Advisory Panel Supplemental Materials
- 2003 External Advisory Group Reports