Cellular, Organs & Systems Pathobiology Branch (COSPB)
Carol Shreffler, Ph.D.
Tel (919) 541-1445
Fax (919) 541-5064
Training and Career Development Programs
Division of Extramural Research and Training
P.O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Carol Shreffler, Ph.D. is the Program Officer for the Training and Career Development Program at NIEHS. Shreffler is the NIEHS representative on the NIH Training Advisory Committee and the NIH Molecular Libraries and Imaging Roadmap Committee. She served for two years as the Co-Chair of the Training Subcommittee (now the Key Function Committee) of the Clinical and Translational Science Awards, and on the Re-Engineering the Clinical Research Enterprise Roadmap Committee. Other training related experience includes serving on the Interdisciplinary Workforce Roadmap Committee, the Trans-NIH Neurosciences Blueprint Training Subcommittee, and the K30 Clinical Curriculum Development Steering Committee. She is the NIEHS Coordinator for the Diversity and Re-entry supplements program. She is credited with developing and managing the Outstanding New Environmental Scientist Program, a R01 research grant aimed at outstanding new Early Stage Investigators in the Environmental Health Sciences.
Shreffler’s scientific portfolio is the Liver, Kidney and Digestive Systems Toxicology Research and she served on the NIH Liver Disease Subcommittee of the Digestive Diseases Interagency Coordinating Committee.
Shreffler received the Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics from Texas Tech University. Following experience as an aerospace engineer at Johnson Spacecraft Center, she returned to graduate school and received a Ph.D. in genetics from Oregon State University. She spent time in the Intramural Research Program of the NIEHS before joining the Division of Extramural Research and Training as a Scientific Review Administrator. In 1999, she assumed her current position as Director of the Training and Career Development Programs.
- Career Development Awards
- Institutional Training Grants and Short Term Training Grants
- Liver, Kidney and Digestive Disease Research and Toxicology
- Outstanding New Environmental Scientist (ONES) Program (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/dert/cospb/programs/ones/index.cfm) (http://www.niehs.nih.govhttp://edit:9992/Rhythmyx/assembler/render?sys_authtype=0&sys_variantid=567&sys_revision=1&sys_contentid=75081&sys_context=0)
- Pathways to Independence Awards
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards