Sheetal Thakur, Ph.D.
Systems Toxicology Group
Sheetal Thakur, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral IRTA Fellow
Tel (919) 541-2784
Sheetal Thakur, Ph.D. is an Intramural Research Training Award Fellow in the Toxicology branch of the Division of National Toxicology Program (NTP) at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. In her current position, Thakur is a lead study scientist on selective non-clinical toxicology studies designed to evaluate toxicity and carcinogenicity of chemicals, herbal and pharmaceutical agents that are identified by the NTP as a potential concern to public health.
As a trainee study scientist, Thakur plans testing strategies, organizes and leads study design teams comprised of 8-12 experts from the fields of toxicology, pathology, chemistry and ADME to address issues pertaining to investigation in different areas of toxicology. She develops protocols for external GLP toxicology studies, critically analyzes study results, and prepares NTP toxicity/technical reports and scientific manuscripts. Her special interests are in designing non clinical testing strategies to identify potential immunotoxicological risks posed by pollutants, chemicals and drugs.
Dr. Thakur’s educational background includes a Ph.D. in Toxicology (University of Montana, Advisor: Andrij Holian) and a Bachelor’s in Pharmaceutical Sciences (University of Mumbai). In past, Dr. Thakur has worked as a postdoctoral fellow in viral immunology at NIEHS; has experience of working in a pharmaceutical setting; and has also worked as a registered pharmacist in India.
- Liao JY, Thakur SA, Zalinger ZB, Gerrish KE, Imani F. Inosine-Containing RNA Is a Novel Innate Immune Recognition Element and Reduces RSV Infection. PLoS One. 2011; 6(10):e26463. Epub 2011 Oct 18. PMID: 22028885.
- Thakur SA, Zalinger ZB, Johnson TR, Imani F. PKR is a novel mediator of CD40 signaling and plays a critical role in modulating immunoglobulin expression during RSV infection. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011 Oct 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21994357.
- Thakur SA, Beamer CA, Migliaccio CT, Holian A. Critical role of MARCO in crystalline silica-induced pulmonary inflammation. Toxicol Sci. 2009 Apr; 108(2):462-71. Epub 2009 Jan 16.
- Thakur SA, Hamilton R Jr, Pikkarainen T, Holian A. Differential binding of inorganic particles to MARCO. Toxicol Sci. 2009 Jan;107(1):238-46. Epub 2008 Oct 4. PMID: 18836211.
- Thakur SA, Hamilton RF Jr, Holian A. Role of scavenger receptor a family in lung inflammation from exposure to environmental particles. J Immunotoxicol. 2008 Apr; 5(2):151-7. Review. PMID: 18569385.
- Hamilton RF Jr, Thakur SA, Holian A. Silica binding and toxicity in alveolar macrophages. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008 Apr 1; 44(7):1246-58. Epub 2007 Dec 27. Review. PMID: 18226603.
- Hamilton RF Jr, Thakur SA, Mayfair JK, Holian A. MARCO mediates silica uptake and toxicity in alveolar macrophages from C57BL/6 mice. J Biol Chem. 2006 Nov 10; 281(45):34218-26. Epub 2006 Sep PMID: 1698491.