Po C. Chan, Ph.D.
General Toxicology Group
Po C. Chan, Ph.D., is a toxicologist in the Toxicology Branch. Prior to conduct of studies, he creates a literature survey of chemicals nominated for NTP study, assesses the data gap of the chemicals and makes recommendations for toxicity and carcinogenicity study protocols. During the conduct of studies, progress reports are reviewed and protocol amendments are made, if necessary, based on findings, to investigate the mechanism of action involved in the causation of histopathologic changes. This includes investigation of metabolic enzyme induction, ultimate carcinogen identification, DNA-adduct analysis, DNA repair, cell proliferation, protooncogene activation and apoptosis. Upon completion of studies, technical reports are written and defended at peer review meetings. The ultimate goals of the research effort are as follows:
- delineate the toxicity of environmental chemicals
- identify carcinogens
- understand the process of carcinogenesis
- provide data for risk assessment and hazard management
Po received a B.A. from the International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan, an M.A. from Columbia University, New York, New York and a Ph.D. from New York University.
- Chan, P.C., Mahler, J., Bucher, J.R., Travlos, G.S. and Reid, J.B. Toxicity and carcinogenicity of riddelliine following 13 weeks of treatment to rats and mice. Toxicon, 32, 891-908, 1994. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7985194) ]
- Chang, L.W., Hsia, S.M.T., Chan, P.C. and Hsieh, L.L. Macromolecular adducts: Biomarkers for toxicity and carcinogenesis. Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol., 34, 41-67, 1994. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8042856) ]
- Chan, P. Cardy, R., Haseman, J., Moe, J. and Huff, J. Leukemia induced in rats but not mice by dimethyl morpholinophosphoramidate, a simulant anticholinesterase agent. Toxicology, 91, 127-137, 1994. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8059437) ]
- Chan, P.C. et al. Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of 1-Trans-Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 Mice. NTP TR 446. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, 1994.
- Chan, P.C. et al. Toxicity Study of 1-Nitropyrene Administered by Inhalation to F344/N rats. NTP Toxicity Report 34. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, 1994.
- Chan, P.C. Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of Molybdenum Trioxide in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 Mice. NTP TR No. 460. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health. 1995.
- Chan, P.C. et al. Toxicity Studies of Urethane Administered in Drinking Water and in 5% Ethanol to F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice. NTP Toxicity Report 52. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, 1996 [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11803705) ]
- Chan, P.C., Sills, R.C., Braun, A.G., Haseman, J.K. and Bucher, J.R. Toxicity and carcinogenicity of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol in Fischer 344 rats and B6C3F1 mice. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 30, 109-117, 1996.
- Chan, P.C., Xia, Q. and Fu, P.P. Ginkgo biloba leave extract: Biological, medicinal, and toxicological effects. Journal of Environmental Science and Health. Part C, Environmental Carcinogenesis & Ecotoxicology Reviews, 25(3), 211-244, 2007. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17763047?dopt=Abstract) ]
- Chan, P.C., Hills, G.D., Kissling, G.E. and Nyska, A. Toxicity and carcinogenesis studies of 4-methylimidazole in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice. Archives of Toxicology, 82(1), 45-53, 2008. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17619857?dopt=Abstract) ]
- Huff, J., Chan P.C. and Melnick, R. Clarifying carcinogenicity of ethylbenzene. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 58(2), 167-169, 2010. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20723573?dopt=Abstract) ]
- Chan, P.C., Ramot, Y., Malarkey, D.E., Blackshear, P., Kissling, G.E., Travlos, G. and Nyska, A. Fourteen-week toxicity study of green tea extract in rats and mice. Toxicologic Pathology 38(7):1070-1084, 2010. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20884815?dopt=Abstract) ]
- Chan, P.C., Peckham, J.C., Malarkey, D.E., Kissling, G.E., Travlos, G.S. and Fu, P.P. Two-Year Toxicity and Carcinogenicity Studies of Panax Ginseng in Fisher 344 Rats and B6C3F1 Mice. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, 39(4), 779-788, 2011. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21721156?dopt=Abstract) ]
- Chan PC , Huff J. Hexane fraction of American ginseng suppresses colitis and colon cancer. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.) 5(7):982, 2012. [Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22637694?dopt=Abstract) ]