General Toxicology Group
Paul M. Foster, Ph.D., Fellow, A.T.S.
Chief, Toxicology Branch
Acting General Toxicology Group Leader
Tel (919) 541-2513
Fax (919) 316-4255
P.O. Box 12233
Mail Drop K2-12
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
The General Toxicology Group characterizes the toxicologic and/or carcinogenic potential of specific chemicals and/or agents nominated to the NTP for assessment. The group also coordinates the preparation and publication of the NTP technical reports including Toxicity, Technical and Genetically Modified Model (GMM) reports providing scientific data and current knowledge of identified toxicants and carcinogens to regulatory agencies and the public.
Major Areas of Research
- Initiate and coordinate research projects that investigate the mechanisms underlying chemical-mediated toxicity and carcinogenicity.
- Safe Drinking Water Program- Identify and characterize health risks associated with exposure to drinking water disinfection by-products and other contaminants including chemicals and algal toxins.
- Mixtures Program- Develop approaches for studying mixtures (herbals, PAHs) at NTP that will contribute to our ability to predict the toxicity resulting from complex exposures.
- Green Chemistry initiative– Evaluate and compare the relative toxicity of chemicals proposed as safer replacements for other toxic chemicals (Ionic liquids, NBBS).
- Toxicologic and Carcinogenic assessments of:
- Herbal products/Dietary Supplements
- Drinking water disinfection by-products and contaminants
- Environmental contaminants
- Chemical intermediates
- Evaluation and interpretation of toxicity and carcinogenicity data for publication as NTP technical reports.